low cost housing from old shipping containers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Years ago, after hurricane Katrina I speculated about building a low cost home using a few old shipping containers stacked un, in the washed out section of Nawlins that should have cheap land. Back then I never did more than soak my idea in beer, but I just saw an ad for shipping containers for sale (from Mobile, Al) for something like $1,700 each.

My idea was going to use something like 4 of them with the lowest level be elevated 15-20'. My car could be parked beneath the structure.
===
Since then I saw a recent TV clip about some small business man outfitting single containers with doors and windows as mini-homes.

JR

Many a company is doing low cost housing from shipping containers.

There was also a company at NAMM one year that had an entire control room out of a shipping container. Acoustics and all ready to go just add gear.

Could double up as an Andersen shelter too , if it came down to it .

A refridgerated trailer body makes a superb living space , I know someone who converted one by cutting holes and installing reclaimed double glazed windows and doors .

I would like to know how good these container conversions are in terms of condensation. For a healthy indoor living the structure has to be able to breath.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this right after hurricane Katrina trashed New Orleans, almost 20 years ago. I couldn't find any for sale (today I saw an ad on facebook). 🤔

I was going to build a foundation and fly these up from steel support girders to get the living space above possible flood levels. Since I never found a source for them I stopped scratching out ideas a long time ago.

Now there are commercial operations making one container homes.

JR

A shipping container needs to be clad out inside before its livable , water vapour will still condense and pool unless its handled properly .
If you live in the desert the inside of shipping container can reach a blistering temp well above 50C ,
likewise at night the metal structure will shed heat and you could end up needing heating in the mornings .

A white 40 foot insulated trailer body is a much better bet for a livable space .
Older ones where the power unit has failed or been removed go cheaply .

It's been a thing for a while. Around here you can buy a used, but not thrashed 40' unit for $3-4k.

Here are some pretty swank models.

https://www.itinyhouses.com/tiny-collections/40-gorgeous-shipping-container-tiny-houses/

https://backcountrycontainers.com/

https://bobscontainers.com/store-category/container-homes/

Many people use them for storage sheds. I've seen quite a few larger shed/barn structures in my area based on a couple of containers with a metal roof above and open storage between (for tractors, mowers, lumber storage, etc).

Back