M49 Alternate schematic for cardioid only

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently on a M49 point to point but missing the two 150M at R1 and R2 on original Neumann schematic, can i use 100m or 200M instead ? What is best choice ? more or less ohms ?

I am currently on a M49 point to point but missing the two 150M at R1 and R2 on original Neumann schematic, can i use 100m or 200M instead ? What is best choice ? more or less ohms ?
I second what OneRoom said: I also used 100M on two prototypes, and it sounds good.

On thé next build, I will try 200M (found them on the RS site) & will report.

M

Attachments

• 8F031DDF-C62B-4078-9636-4CA22072158D.jpeg
    8F031DDF-C62B-4078-9636-4CA22072158D.jpeg
    578 KB
  • E12AEDC2-9E69-499E-B44A-6BD014BD07B1.jpeg
    E12AEDC2-9E69-499E-B44A-6BD014BD07B1.jpeg
    356.9 KB
  • D987221E-B6CE-4C0A-A80E-1999D55811F4.jpeg
    D987221E-B6CE-4C0A-A80E-1999D55811F4.jpeg
    350.9 KB
View attachment 133702

I built one with @elskardio ’s schematic.

Body is a bit small so layout is not that neat, but it works really well.

Thanks @elskardio for sharing schematic and your build! Really appreciate it.
That yellow board looks very practical for p2p. What material is it/where did you get it? Same for those turrets. Not that they seem special but the ones I got are either too big or too small, wondering if you have any specs on that. Beautiful build!! Would love to see the back

In his schematic, Oliver omitted the C4 (8pf) plate to grid capacitor. Here's what I found so far
With no capacitor I find the mic sounding "harsh". I've tested different values and I ended up with 5pF.
You said you preferred the sound after adding C4 plate to grid capacitor...

Then you posted this,
m49_schematic.png

Here's the schematic I ended up with and I'm satisfied with the sound of the microphone.
and I don't see C4. Did you change your preference or just forgot to put it in the final schematic?
I know I can try and judge for myself, but I think I ran out of capacitors around those values so I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing. What voltage rating should I look for?

You said you preferred the sound after adding C4 plate to grid capacitor...

Then you posted this,

and I don't see C4. Did you change your preference or just forgot to put it in the final schematic?
I know I can try and judge for myself, but I think I ran out of capacitors around those values so I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing. What voltage rating should I look for?
I wonder if @elskardio meant C1 (plate to ground). Oliver also omitted that, and as I have shared, I thought it made a positive difference to add it back. I think the description of the mic sounding “harsh” without it is accurate.

Also, C4 would affect the overall level, not the treble/bass.

My first build was using 3U's GZT-87 transformer.

Without the 5pF C4 (to lower the output level) the transformer was saturating and the mic sounded "harsh".

I later switched to the UTM-0549 (bigger core) and removed C4.

So if you're planning to use a small core transformer, I would suggest adding C4.

I always use Silver Mica capacitor for that task with great results.
(https://mou.sr/3NgBnNA)

Back