M49 / M50 dimensions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oasis_in_shanghai.jpg

Liam is the ugly one... or...

Anyway, they were big here in the 90's.

The session finishes next week, so I should be able to get my hands on it at the end of the week, or the following Monday......

Ah sweet man! I'm getting into Solidworks right now through my local community college's class. It's awesome! Walrus, you tracking Oasis now?! Good stuff!...

OK, finally got hold of one, all dimensions in mm's.....

A: 71
B: 32
C: 19
Ca: 80
D: 4
E: 75
F: 73
G: 12
H: 44

E, F, and H are all approximate, as the grille has been bent and re-straightened in the past.

1: 18
2: 5
3: 23
4: 22
5: 63
6: 13

I can only measure the height to the centre of the capsule from the top of ring C
by holding the mic up to the light and doing a best guess = 51mm.

Thanks to Walrus for getting those dimensions to me!

Well, I hopped into Solidworks and started the fun. Here's some images of the base piece. I made the connector "tube" a little larger than the real M50 so I could use these cool connectors:

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_1286888529/NC5MPR-HD_detail.aspx

I made an inside "ledge" so there's plenty of space for internal mounting holes. There's more than enough room for the 2480 output transformer, and I'll probably make a plastic mounting piece to hold the little guy in place.

Well, just getting started!

BaseBottom.png

BaseFront.png

BaseTop.png

Those Neutrik connectors may be a bit easier to source, but I think that such a cool project deserve the best, i.e. the binder 691 like the one used in Skylar's bodies or Lucas microphones...

Axel

Hey Riggler,

yes those one exactly... Look, feel, and specs definitely suits a good tube mic imho...

Axel

OK here she is all set up for the Binder connector. All screw threads are standard M3.
BaseBinder.png

Now on to the transformer / PCB holder mount holes and design. This is the hard part, I have several ideas to make this DIY friendly stewing... taking suggestions too...

OK, so is the black "ring" under the PCB a plate? I imagine it has holes in it to let some leads down to the transformer area from the PCB. Might need some photos to get this right, especially with how the transformer mounts. I'll be using a 2480, which appears to be smaller than the stock transformer.

I see now that the inside of the base looks to be flat across the bottom, not hollowed out like I have it. This is probably important to help balance the microphone, so it isn't "top heavy" on a swivel mount, etc.

Then there is this cut-out machined block that holds the transformer and secures the PCB and capsule. Looks like there are 2 screws through the PCB into the block? I can imagine that plate also having three more holes with screws that go upwards, through the PCB, into the clear plastic studs that the capsule terminals and mount screws attach to.

Also, it appears that there are setscrews in the base that reverse out into the body to hold it in place. I've seen this on other mics. So I'll modify the threads to match a common grub screw size, and will also lower these 3 holes a bit. I think I have them a little bit high right now.

OK, made the sphere on the 3D printer. You can see my capsules came with a cool rubber mounting gasket, so I designed around that...
Mounted with four 2mm screws, then there is another piece that will cover the back to finish it off. I didn't make that yet but it is designed.

spherefront.jpg

sphereback.jpg

Latest posts

Back