Mackie 1604 vs VLZ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Does anyone know if the original 1604 mixer contains standard electronic components vs the SMT of the VLZ and later desks?  Or do they all use SMT?

I've heard some say that they favour the sound of these...over the VLZ and post VLZ boards that Mackie made.  This could explain, partially, why.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sig

The original Cr 1604 contains exclusively standard components except the vu meter IC wich is SMT
Really small resistors but not SMT and 4560 O AMP in line instead of regular 4+4.

I don't know why it sounds so good. ;)

I agree.  I use my 1604 mic pres all the time -- (just don't tell anyone).  ;D  I actually have compared them several times to the masterful V76 and they compare very well -- not quite equal of course, but they stand up fine.  They are even capable of running a low output ribbon mic on quiet sources.  Two tricks: I use the direct outs so I bypass the rest of channel.  I also use them unbalanced, which I think makes them sound better...

Back