Making Rear Panels - Photo Essay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

I need to mill rear panels for a new 2 channel case for this upcoming puppy.

X12-Rack1.jpg

Startup PC, using Mach3 software with an eBay D.I.Y. CNC machine. Yup, it's a touchscreen LCD.
PC also has a wireless network card. I pull up the g-code files from my network drive.
3535151666_ef870d76e7_o.jpg

I did some mods to the machine, replacing the coupling with this thingy... it reduced vibration and made the cuts smooth as butter.
3535112924_427d67a99d_o.jpg

Brand new G-code, running it for the first time. All seems well... Drilling holes for the XLR jacks.
3535112950_51ea1f82e3_o.jpg

Yup, that's a blue painters tape you see on the pic above. It's my "fan" so it blows the shards away from the workpiece. (Someday, I hope to have a vacuum attachment)

Now, it's milling the XLR holes. Forgive the picture, that's my unsteady hand. (but it seems to look like the workpiece is vibrating)
3534296055_bd8e7d1bce_o.jpg

Now, it's creating the hole for the fuse holder.
3534296127_738b9f746e_o.jpg

then the IEC AC inlet connector...
and we're done!
3535113108_3b44b369bb_o.jpg

I'm only running at 4IPS since I do not have a heavy duty motor and not running coolant. Plus I like my cut smooth so I don't want to be in a hurry.

All in all, it took about 30+ minutes.  I can leave it running while I go do something else so the "slow" speed doesn't bother me.

Beats using a drill press and manual filing! :)

man...and I just spent a half hour trying to get my nibbler tool to cut out a rectangle for my outlet haha.  How much did you lay down for the cnc machine in total?

owel said:
Startup PC, using Mach3 software with an eBay D.I.Y. CNC machine. Yup, it's a touchscreen LCD.
PC also has a wireless network card. I pull up the g-code files from my network drive.
3535151666_ef870d76e7_o.jpg

I did some mods to the machine, replacing the coupling with this thingy... it reduced vibration and made the cuts smooth as butter.
3535112924_427d67a99d_o.jpg

Very Nice indeed!

So was that a DIY version from the kit plans or the sub $1K unit?

I'm thinking about the same thing and was looking at the 80/20 Inc stuff for the frame prior to pulling the trigger on the whole kit from China.

Is the coupling a helical type and adjusts for any miss alignment on the 3 axis?

SSLtech said:
..Did I mention that I hate you!!!  ;D
Ditto here!! Actually I just bought a rotozip with this in mind! Glad to see it actually works, since most plans online are for dremels or big routers.  Have you measured runout on it?  Can you give any more details on the plans you used, or did you buy a kit? 

How much did you lay down for the cnc machine in total?

I lost track.. But here's what's involved:

The machine from eBay was $750.

But had to pay extra so I can get a rotozip mount. $$

Then of course, you have to buy a rotozip. $$$

You need a PC for the CNC... any old one laying around will do. $

I bought a 17" LCD monitor with touchscreen, also from eBay. $$
I added a wireless network card. $

A PC is useless without software.  So you need a CAM softwaer $$

Then the CNC Controller software $$

And other software that you may want to use for engraving or whatnot... $ to $$$

Had to build a table using 80/20 aluminum for legs and MDF for top and shelf. $$

Build a jig as your workpiece holder, buy some clamps. $

Then you need router bits. from $ to $$

Of course, you need to learn the proper settings for your machine. The maximum cut speed will depend on your RPM, bit diameter, bit type, material being cut, hardness of material being cut, how stiff your CNC is, etc...

You will BREAK bits.  So practice/learn using cheap bits at first.
I've broken a few $30+ router bits 2 seconds after turning on the switch while I was learning this thing.

The stepper motor controller broke, so had to fix the electronics and upgrade it. $

Upgraded the shaft coupling on the CNC machine to improve smoothness. $

Plan on doubling your budget.

No, this thing is a toy... probably not good and accurate enough for fine text panel engraving.

I just use it for milling holes which was my primary purpose.

deuce42 said:
So Owel - let us know when you are going into your panel manufacturing business. I will be happy to purchase from you:)

Yes, it's made of rubber. Very stiff rubber. There's a collar and it's installed using set screws to the 2  shaft.

It will take into account any shaft misalignment. I'm very pleased and surprised with how well it performed. Very noticeable improvement, especially for shafts that are not 100% aligned/perpendicular/on axis.

Latest posts

Back