Manley VariMu meters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrIVIUM2323

Hello,
I've been offered a Manley Varimu but one of the meter had a shock and need to be changed for a new one.
Before discussing price of the unit i would like to know how much it is going to cost.

So does someone have the reference/part number of the Sifam meter used in the varimu please?

Thank you.

Just ask your local Manley dealer for a price on the spare part - I doubt that it's a standard type.

Or get your local watchmaker to fix the broken one?

/Jakob E.

Hello Jakob.
Thank you for your answer!
Yes i think it is the better way to have an original one. But i fear asked price...
If i could find a similar speced meter meanwhile ( i don't care about aestetic for now, i would like to be able to use the unit) i could at least test the unit.

I would like to go to a watchmaker but the meter have seen a mean real schock and is destroyed beyond repair. I don't know what happened, owner told me a drunk guitarist fell over the rack with it's instrument...

I didn't powered the unit as if i recall correctly the meter is connected to B+ rail and there is potentialy 'live' part in the guts ( which are visible) and time was limited when visiting the place.

For next visit i will open the box and disconnect the meter for a test.

Really look it over. Are the meter faces yellowish? That would be a sign of poor racking with limited ventilation. They need 1U top and bottom, not above another Manley or H4000, in a properly cooled studio.
Shocked meter? Is the other one "half-shocked"? Don't concern with the replacement $$, make it x2 plus labor taken off the sale price.
Mike

Thank you guys!
Ok, 91$ seems ok given it is a Sifam meter. Will end up probably around double the price in EU.
I will try to see with distributor in here.

Sodderboy, yes i will inspect the unit. I don't know how it was handled until now. I suspect gear had a tough life given it's given state atm.
From what i've seen the other meter was in good shape and still white. Surprisingly no pot broken or case shocked. Only left meter.

It's a 1ma dc unit. Ok i have some in here ( old simpson iirc).

Do you think i can try them in it in order to see if chanel see some compression/behave roughly as it should? ( i can by hear but if metering show 'regular' behavior it gives a check of circuit health too).

Also a broken meter while suspicious does not indicate further damage. Many a meter was broken at the studio on rack gear because someone on a chair with wheels slammed into the rack and hit the right spot to do it.
It got to the point we nailed 1x1 wood on the floor about 6 inches away from the racks following the outline of the front, no one runs into them anymore.

Last edited:
So frustrating to have broken meter glass! The bottom rack units in the credenze get kicked or hit by chairs. I've finally covered the bottom 4 rackspaces with blank panels! If we notice in time, we do charge our clients for damage like this - usually $200 for a broken knob or meter to cover parts/labor/downtime.

Also a broken meter while suspicious does not indicate further damage. Many a meter was broken at the studio on rack gear because someone on a chair with wheels slammed into the rack and hit the right spot to do it.
It got to the point we nailed 1x1 wood on the floor about 6 inches away from the racks following the outline of the front, no one runs into them anymore.

I had a client kick a tube tech cl1b breaking the bypass switch. Rather than wait for a new tube tech switch, I just put in a standard toggle switch. Had to drill out the face plate as this switch was huge. They never kicked it again.

Latest posts

Back