Marinair LO1173 & LO1166

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noizetoys

Just trying to not make things worse...
GDIY Supporter
I was wondering if it was possible to use an LO1173 in place of a 1166.  I know the 1173 is ungapped so no DC, but is it possible to modify the 1173 somehow, I mean short of pulling out the hacksaw and making a gap.

Just curious.

Which circuit are you planning to use it in?

you can’t just “mod” a transformer. You can change the circuitry around it, but it is what it is. Understanding your application will help us to better help you.

The short answer is no. The 1073 output stage has to pass dc through the transformer. Only a gapped transformer will do for that job.

Cheers

Ian

The only option would be to use a choke instead of the transformer to load the 2N3055 transistor and then cap couple the collector signal to your non-gapped output transformer.

Look at the various routing modules used in the Neve 80 series desks for how that scheme was done.

However, you could probably buy an LO1166 for not more than a few £'s over what the choke would cost. I'd just buy an LO1166 and save your 1173 for something else.

@rackmonkey I'm looking at building a line input module that's similar to a 1883. It's class A so uses a BA283 which needs the gapped transformer.

The reason I asked was that I have the opportunity to purchase some 1173 for a decent price (well, not terrible price really) and since they are less expensive than a 1166 I was hoping there was some way to use them. Looks like there isn't.

I didn't think they would work, but I was hoping some of you much more clever people might know of a work around.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Always good to learn from the experts!

Latest posts

Back