Marvel Mystery Oil mix for cleaning pots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

Just saw a video with a guy cleaning pots and switches on a soundcraft ghost with a mix of 1 part marvel mystery oil to 3 parts 97% isopropyl alcohol and a syringe for applicator. Anybody else tried this? Alcohol is the cleaner and oil is the lube. It can attract dust but seems similar to the oil in deoxit cleaners. Just wondering for cleaning larger consoles pots and switches.

My problem with this solution is the amount of mineral oil you are using...Marvel Mystery oil is mineral oil between 60-100% (they don't give you the exact amount)...its basically mineral oil, mineral spirits and a couple of plasticizers for lubrication and fire retardation...the downside of mineral oil is it can develop sulphur which will eat away copper and the fact that it is non-conductive is also a bit of an invitation to problems especially on older carbon based pots...

Get it under a capacitor and see if it prolongs the life thereof...it won't...

I get the Alcohol...which is about all I use to clean stuff but I stick to 99%...

the downside of mineral oil is it can develop sulphur
That’s good to know. I’ve used 99% Alcohol also for cleaners. You have to lube these switch and pot shafts or they become unworkable. Deoxit is an oil. I wonder what it is. It also breaks down into a green/yellow something after years. Keeping old consoles alive is a labor of love like a hot rod.

Back