mbho microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubertar

This appears to be an MB microphone, not an MBHO.

MB were part of what MBHO are now. I have an MB dynamic microphone. A lot of their microphones are similar to Beyers.

Someone from MBHO said that MB's quality control wasn't great. Having said that, I would imagine you have a very good condenser mic in your hands. Bargain!

I don't know about powering. It could well be less than 48V. You could open it up and have a look at the circuit for clues.

Roddy

Thanks. If it takes less than 48v, would phantom power hurt it? Or would it just "take what it needs"? Phantom is very low current, unless I'm mistaken. I found mention of a similar model on another forum which ran on two 15 volt batteries. If it's meant to run on 30v, would 48 be ok? Maybe there's a simple mod I could do to keep from frying it?

I made a post recently about 12v phatom power. Search for "12v phantom".

Still, you might be ok. It could be 48V. I would not try 48V with it if it is designed for less though. You could damge your microphone.

Do you think it would be ok to test by using an stand-alone phantom unit that's plugged into a variac?

I read the other thread. I'm not sure which part of the circuit that was linked is the right one, or how it would need to be adjusted for 30v instead of 12v, but for now I don't know for sure what it needs anyway. I emailed mbho to see if they had any info.

I'm not sure about using a variac - I am not that familiar with these devices. Someone else here would know though.

You could try borrowing a cheap Behringer mixer - some of them only provide 24V phantom. The battery powered ones can provide even less.

Also, AKG make a battery powered phantom power supply - 18V.

Really though, you need to figure out what the supply should really be - for all you know, it may be 48V.

> Will this mic work with phantom power?

If it is what I think it is: NO!

Mine are Simplex or AB power.

I'm not sure if Phantom would damage it.

Let me go look in my closet for my MBs. (They have been in the closet for 17 years, which may tell you what I think of them.)

> Maybe takes a battery? I tried to get the bottom off (2 min) and could not do it.

Yes it takes a battery, and yes it is easy to open.

If you twist the connector relative to the body about 20 degrees, the mike turns off and on, as indicated by red and black dots.

In the black position, press the button in the slot and pull the connector out of the body. If it isn't rusted-up, it will come easy (not like tearing mike guts out).

It takes two "Mallory TR 113 4V". These were unavailable 17 years ago. I adapted mine to take one TR175 7V (it seems to be a stack of 675) which is also unavailable, you can get a A175 7.5V Alkaline or S175 Silver-Oxide of the same size. An A23 is the same size and very readily available; it is 12V which probably won't hurt the mike. You need to wrap the outside with paper and fabricate a 14mm-15mm metal spacer.

> Mine are Simplex or AB power.

Also known as "T-power".

Mine is the C510 "omni", but clearly the same as yours without the back-entrance. Mine have a very shrill top and an astonishing amount of directivity for a 15mm diaphragm. This could be the front-resonator and its 11mm ring of vents.

Thanks PRR. I'll try that when it gets here and report back. Hopefully it's not shrill in the high end like yours. btw, according to the first few google results anyway, simplex is the same as phantom, just like AB is the same as T.

Is this a true condenser? Generally, battery powered mics are electrets, though I know there are exceptions, and this may be one. Not that it matters, really-- what matters is how it sounds. *crosses fingers*

> Is this a true condenser?

I would argue that electrets are "true condensers".

But it is certainly too old and high-class to be anything other than DC bias. There certainly was the technology to build a DC-DC converter.

If it runs on T power, try it out with T power even if you find that phantom will somehow work (which would be suprising to me).

a few years ago I was working on a movie with 5 hour setups between takes and wound up busying ourselves however possible. One day we compared identical schoepps capsules using t power and phantom power amplifiers. These were powered from the same cooper mixer which has both phantom power and t power circuits drawn from the same power supply. We all concluded unanimously that the T power had a spongier slightly more open sound compared to the phantom which was stiffer and more out in front sounding in comparison. Its doubtful that there is a walk up to it cold and identify which type of difference, but in an a/b next to each other, there was a difference.

short anwser, T power is less common but Ive found it to sound very good where the option is available. T power is really popular with movie guys as the power drain on a battery is slightly less than phantom. You arent saving tons of current by running T, but when your batteries are only good for 3 hours on a rig every little bit counts if you have a lot of mics set up.

anyhow, hope my anecdote is helpful somehow.

dave

Someone on the home recording forum has a MB C540, and apparently it runs on two 15 volt batteries.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=133396&highlight=mbho
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=87866&highlight=mbc+540

mbc_540.jpg

[quote author="ubertar"]Hi Dave. I'll be moving to Bushwick 8/1, the Jefferson stop on the L. That's close to your neck of the woods, no?[/quote]

People move TO Bushwick now? Yow!

I drove through there just a few days ago and it doesn't look any more savory now than it did years ago.

What's the attraction? Cheap rents?

I was born there, so please don't think I'm being a snob or anything like that.

[quote author="PRR"]> Will this mic work with phantom power?

If it is what I think it is: NO!

Mine are Simplex or AB power.

I'm not sure if Phantom would damage it.

Let me go look in my closet for my MBs. (They have been in the closet for 17 years, which may tell you what I think of them.)[/quote]

if you dont like'em, you can pass'em on to me! :grin:
one man's junk is another man's treasure.... :cool:

People move TO Bushwick now? Yow!

Oh yeah. Cheap rents, large spaces...just make sure you watch your back. Now that Williamsburg is pretty packed and extremely expensive, the push is further eastward.

Zach

Ugh. I just hope the Queens border continues to act as an invisible shield of uncoolness, repelling hipsters and yuppies alike. For years I've been thinking of moving back to Ridgewood. I'd hate to see it "colonized" before I get the chance.

Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to sidetrack your thread...

No problem. Keeps it at the top of the page. I really don't want to move-- I'm in Park Slope now, but the landlord put the building up for sale. The rent hasn't changed in 7 years, but the neighborhood sure has. But now I can get Mexican food that's as good or better in my new neighborhood at less than half what it costs in the old one. And we have a little more space. But I'd still rather stay in PS. Just can't afford to.

Hey, so I'm back from vacation (Montreal) and the mic is here. I opened it up and it takes the same batteries as PRR's mic (two 4 volt cells). If I decided to go with the converter at this link: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/phantom/p48t122.jpg what would I need to change for it to give 8v instead of 12? And do I need to do something with the battery compartment to make it work?

I'll look for compatible batteries, but I generally like to avoid batteries if at all possible.

Latest posts

Back