McIntosh MC2505 vs Bryston 3B for NS10s

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okgb-

If ya wanna know how men used to shave, try mixing with a pair of Altec "voice of the theater"  A-7 speakers!

And maybe a big CrOWn D 300  or maybe some spectra sonics amps

QUEEF BAG said:
okgb-

If ya wanna know how men used to shave, try mixing with a pair of Altec "voice of the theater"  A-7 speakers!

And maybe a big CrOWn D 300  or maybe some spectra sonics amps

Or QUEEF BAG
try some Altec 1005 tar horns on VOTT 210 double 15 cabinets..  (A4) lol

(actually if you flatten out A7s with a pair of DN27s you can get some not
great but OK mixes)

GARY

Definitely a fan of the Brystons. They're the best sounding amps I've heard with NS10s. And you want a good amp with a lot of power for speakers of that nature. Having said that, I've never heard the 3B. Only the 4B....

I like the Bryston but I'm using a Yamaha P2500 which I love.  That was the old school pairing.

Thanks again gents for making this an illuminating thread.
The mac I was looking at sold while I hesitated, so I ended up getting a McIntosh MC 2120 for the same price. The Bryston was a much further drive. An old Crown DC300 also popped up for sale locally (I'd heard good things about it and NS10s elsewhere--i recall reading that Chris Stamey liked them because he found the of sluggish slew rate help tame the speakers edginess). however, i figured the dc300 would require re-capping (+$$$).

I'm extremely happy with the way this amp sounds. It doesn't have the glass front panel, cool blue VU meters and Tron-eque light show the 2505 had, but it's about a decade younger.

MC 2120

ELECTRICAL: 120w/ch. (240w mono). Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.1%. Noise and hum -95dB. Output impedance 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms. (1, 2, 4 and 8 ohms in mono). Damping factor 14 or greater. Input impedance 100k. Input sensitivity 0.75v or 2.5v. Headphone impedance: low. Sentry Monitor. Power Guard.

FRONT PANEL: Anodized gold and black panel. Gain controls. Output mode lamps: normal or limit. Power sw: on or off. Headphone jack.

BACK PANEL: Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. AC outlet. Input level sw: 2.5v or .75v. Mode sw: stereo or mono. Power Guard sw: normal or out. Fuse.

Size 5-7/16"H, 16"W and 14-1/2"D. Weight 65 lb. Sold from 1976-1982. Last retail price $999.00

Thanks Gar,
You and Bruno2000's endorsements definitely nudged me in the mac direction. BTW cool looking Ampex AG 300 on your site. I'm in the middle of getting an AG 350 back to life (bias oscillator circuit is giving me sass).

Latest posts

Back