Melcor AML-27 Mic Preamp (Gerbers)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z11111

GDIY Supporter
since @jsteiger / CAPI has released the MEC1731 DOA in addition to replica Melcor input and output transformers, it only made sense to post this goofy project I did last summer. Will anyone use this? Who knows! But it's free / open-source for you.

These are gerbers for a replica of the Melcor AML-27 microphone preamp. We have several of these and love them.

I've been slowly transplanting the components from mine into a 500 series board that I made (still prototyping... more on that later), but it seems like a waste to just toss out old Melcor racks, so you can use this board to build you own and have so many preamps. I could make an EAGLE footprint for just the card / edge connector too if anyone is interested.

Keep in mind this is NOT the same pinout as 500 series.

Schematic attached is a direct trace from my units -- more info on those here (some different resistor values, trim resistor info, etc).

Loading resistor “R5” is on the board but not on the schematic (see attached addendum). Original AML-27 cards did not use this, but it’s there if you want it because a couple of mine had been modded for it.

These gerbers are to JLCPCB's specs, but I can't see why they wouldn't work elsewhere.

One other note that I've found is that the mounting bolt spacing for the original Melcor input transformers is very inconsistent unit-to-unit, so you might have to file / drill one of the holes out a little...

Melcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 - 01 Mockup Top.pngMelcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 - 02 Mockup Bottom.png

For authenticity (although idk why you would want this in 2024), I deleted some of the gerbers (soldermask and all top layers) to essentially make a single-sided "replica" board with exposed traces just like the originals. If you want to be EVEN MORE AUTHENTIC..... just remove the top screen print layer and it'll look just like the real deal 🤣

SPECIALIZED PARTS:

• Input Transformer footprint is spec'ed for an original Melcor 400-20 or alternatively the L bracket they used when they switched over to using the Beyer "peanut" xformers. CAPI's new MEC-400-20 *should* fit the hole spacing (1" point to point), but their bracket will not without modification because it's 0.85" point to point.
    • One other note that I've found is that the mounting bolt spacing for the original Melcor input transformers is very inconsistent unit-to-unit, so you might have to file / drill one of the holes out a little...

• Output Transformer footprint was for the original Melcor 400-17, which happens to be the same footprint as Jensen 123, API 2503, etc etc and CAPI's new MEC-400-17 is also that footprint so hey that's perfect.

• Discrete Opampshould be a 1731 but you could obviously use others. As mentioned above, the original 1731 on the AML27 utilized a trim resistor. Various options:

Attachments

• Melcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 Replica V2) - 01 Mockup Top.png
    Melcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 Replica V2) - 01 Mockup Top.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Melcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 Replica V2) - 02 Mockup Bottom.png
    Melcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 Replica V2) - 02 Mockup Bottom.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Melcor AML-27 Preamp Card Schematic (Fixed).jpg
    Melcor AML-27 Preamp Card Schematic (Fixed).jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Melcor AML27 Original Repro v1_1 (Gerbers).zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 0