Melcore PCBs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any at all, I'd use the poly for C1 only.. I should still have a parts list at home.. I'll try to dig it up for you.. I never tried to run a melcor at 24v, thats not to say it cant.. Perhaps with larger output transistors it'd work fine? Anyone?? In anycase, I'd run them at 18v and be done with it...

-Jay

I am just trying to figure out if I can put OPA604s in my sontec.

If the melcores need to run at +/- 18V then I'll just use the E5534 or OPA627

Any thoughts?

I am just going to do +/- 18V.

Which opamp would you guys recomend for the sontec?

E5534 or OPA627

What is the difference betweent he 5532 and the 5534?

d./

Hey..

I did the fabbing of the corrected melcors for Jay...
I probably still have the file in the system to make some more...you got rid of them all Jay ?

Gustav

So, I've been tooling around an there is some talk that the melcore won't even work with the sontec.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from other thread......

"I'm re-thinking the idea of using the Melcors for this now, as I read on GM's forum that the Sontec was designed for a FET input opamp."

Hmm. as I'm about to build the sontec that article kicked rear.

did you end up using the 604 dug?

No.. I thought it was too much hastle..

I might go back and put discrete amps on teh audio boards though..

My friend has an actual unit and it only has discrete on the audio boards and ics on the filter boards.

quote: "cog/precision multileyer capacitor.very small. "

COG, or more correctly C0G (C zero G) is just a type of ceramic material. It is the same as NP0. The tempco of capacitance when used in a capacitor is close to zero (spec'd at +/- 30ppm/degree C I believe). They have very low dielectric loss and dielectric absorption and are non-microphonic if made right. They will tolerate high and low temperatures too.

The disadvantage is low volumetric efficiency for easy-to-make thicknesses of material. So single layer parts are in the low tens of picofarad range typically, and anything above that region is multilayer. They get expensive and typically bulky in higher C values. I have a few samples of a 0.1uF C0G 100V part that Thomson made for a while but then discontinued. These days I think the stocked values run to about 2.2nF.

When you have very deep pockets you can get them made custom, about as big as you like. I think it was AVX that did one for the International Space Station. Very low inductance and loss, 270uF (!!) iirc. Probably a >$100k capacitor.

As Sun Ra says, Space is the Place...

[quote author="thedug"]The 3 things are am unsure about are

1) which caps need to be poly and which can just be ceramic. I doubt there is enough room to make them all poly.
2) what to search on to find the little pins that fit into the main board and the opamp board
3) What I should get for the transisters **see below**

------------- transiters ------------------

Fabio sent me the links below, except they don't quite match up wit yours.

1) He doesn't list Q2, but it looks like you have it a BD550? Your's is a little hard to read
2) He has Q7 as 139 but you have it as 135
3) He has Q8 as 140 but you have it as 136

http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/api312/m1731_v1.jpg

http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/forumfiles/M1731_partlist.pdf

d./[/quote]

Have just start to look at my melcors from fabio. On the Pcb i have R4 but
not in the partlist and in the partlist i have R5 but not on the pcb ?? Help !

I've traveled down that road... it's R4+R5 from the original schematic...

Stick the 43.9K from R5 on the parts-list into the R4 on the PCB.

Does anybody have 2 unstuffed PCB's for me ? I got two forssell board here but only two 1731 instead of 4 :-(

thanks for any help.

On the FF opto you may need only the 2 you have, check some of the last opto threads in regards but I think the last few posting topics were recommending only one DOA.

Are there any benefits of hunting down the original transistors over the suggested replacements for the sound of the opamp.

Is the PCB based and modified to the suggested parts. That would be the only issue, pins etc...

Difference of transistor orientation BCE or EBC or CEB.... ETC

KaZ

Hmm, thats something that I haven´t even thought about yet. I´ll have to look into the data sheets to find out.

BTW the pcb says: 1731 rev1

Sofar it seems that the layout/silkscreen is made for the new parts atleast when looking at Q3 and Q4 which are 2N4062 or BC560. Here the emitter and collector are switched but on these parts it looks like there is enough room to put a 2N4062 in reverse position as well.

Also I just can´t find a datasheet for SKA4693 (Q1), does someone know if it´s the same pinout as BC414C?

[quote author="janczmok"]Does anybody have 2 unstuffed PCB's for me ? I got two forssell board here but only two 1731 instead of 4 :-(

thanks for any help.[/quote]

I think I have some of those laying in a box. Just 8 of them or something. Ill check if they are the right ones if you want, and send you a few. Just mail me ([email protected])

Gustav

Back