Mic Pre Gain Steps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buildafriend said:
You could always do stepped with a switched fine adjust pot, but I think 3.33 is fine by it's self
3.3333 seems difficult to label, and I can't imagine telling somebody to give me another 3.333dB of gain.  ::)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
3.3333 seems difficult to label, and I can't imagine telling somebody to give me another 3.333dB of gain.  ::)

JR

It is but the reason for this step size is that I only want to label every third one which will be nice multiples of 10 so quite easy to label.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Exactly. Numbers only  at 12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock, dots or dashes in between.

Cheers

Ian

If you really wanted to be a smarta$$, put actual clock numbers on the panel.

in the end, its up to the eyes to decide i guess.

make 2 or 3 variants in your designer/cad program,make pdf prints and AB test with your optic nerves.

or even better, publish thoose variants here and let us vote!

I'm not a fan of using the whole rotation. If you want to use the whole throw I'd make the first mark a dot instead of a dash for clarity.

Gold said:
I'm not a fan of using the whole rotation.
I tend to agree. Although I could get used to it, I am a bit put off by having maximum gain in what is generally a neutral position. Maybe rotating the legend by 15° would make it more acceptable, with lower gains on the left, higher gains on the right, medium gain on top and nothing in the 6 o'clock position.
In fact, I've often been embarassed with the fact that in a narrow space, putting legends on the east and west position is an issue, so I've often solved the issue by putting legends in the 7 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions, but then it was with a 300° rotation (potentiometer or 11-pos rotary), but I think it could work similarly with 12 position and 15° rotation.

to answer your question

i dont think anybody will think much about what the steps are between every 10db. you turn till you are happy.
i first thought you were gonne write all thoose decimal values around the knob.

actually i think one could even skip any db labeling. max value and nothing else for ex.
to do good gainstaging requires a meter. otherwise your really blind... def..!

is your picture part of a mixer or just for a stand alone channel?

5v333 said:
is your picture part of a mixer or just for a stand alone channel?

Both really. It is intended as part of a mixer. Beneath it will be a 3 band EQ and beneath that a routing module (AUXes and Pan) and lastly a fader.  But it can be used stand alone in a rack - a dozen will fit across a 19 inch rack space.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
I tend to agree. Although I could get used to it, I am a bit put off by having maximum gain in what is generally a neutral position. Maybe rotating the legend by 15° would make it more acceptable, with lower gains on the left, higher gains on the right, medium gain on top and nothing in the 6 o'clock position.

Like this?

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• ClassicSquare2c.pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 32
It kinda does look better in the third version you showed , but Id take the version with the extra gain positions in the lower range anyday , I often find with my tube mics that I need less than 30db gain on loud signals, I often use line input for mics on high level sources too ,upping the input impedence means less load on the transformer and slightly cleaner performance at high levels .

Back