Michael Joly MXL 991 mod mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skmando

Hi all,

New to this forum. The reason I'm here is I was recently gifted a Michael Joly modded mic, a small D based around a MXL 991. From the few posts I could find about it online, I believe it sonically sits 'between' the km84 and km184.

1000041681.jpg
The mic is fantastic! It's quickly become my fav Small D for a number of sources, including mandolin (my main instrument). I don't have access to a km84, but we have km184s at work, and this sounds very similar, with slightly less push around 5kHz. Very, very happy with it.

It's my first 'modded' mic, and has got me really interested in maybe modding a few mics myself. I have an old AKG C1000 with the grill snapped off sitting at the bottom of the mic cabinet doing nothing, so I'll be attempting my first mod soon...

One question I did have in regard to the Michael Joly mic and thought someone here might be able to answer; is this mic transformer based output like a km84, or transformerless like a km184?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Hi all,

New to this forum. The reason I'm here is I was recently gifted a Michael Joly modded mic, a small D based around a MXL 991. From the few posts I could find about it online, I believe it sonically sits 'between' the km84 and km184.

View attachment 135924
The mic is fantastic! It's quickly become my fav Small D for a number of sources, including mandolin (my main instrument). I don't have access to a km84, but we have km184s at work, and this sounds very similar, with slightly less push around 5kHz. Very, very happy with it.

It's my first 'modded' mic, and has got me really interested in maybe modding a few mics myself. I have an old AKG C1000 with the grill snapped off sitting at the bottom of the mic cabinet doing nothing, so I'll be attempting my first mod soon...

One question I did have in regard to the Michael Joly mic and thought someone here might be able to answer; is this mic transformer based output like a km84, or transformerless like a km184?

Thanks in advance,

Sean
Well...

Since it is a modded mic, there could be ANYTHING in there!
MJ might have changed a few crucial components or simply replaced the PCB for one of his own, who knows?

Since you have one just there, why don’t you open it (three small screws) pop it out and take pics of it. Many knowledgeable old grumpy folks here can tell you exactly what is the “secret sauce” and if yes or not it’s close to a Neumann KM84 or 184. Who knows maybe you can replicate it and have a pair 😉

PS: Mandolin player hey? Good, good.

M

Hey Migs,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to open it myself, but next time I bring it to work I'll ask one of the technicians to open it and take a photo.

In some ways it doesn't really matter - the mic sounds great and that's the main thing.

S.

Hey Migs,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to open it myself, but next time I bring it to work I'll ask one of the technicians to open it and take a photo.

In some ways it doesn't really matter - the mic sounds great and that's the main thing.

S.
Cool!
MXL991 is readely available still now (just saw one for £30 in a London shop).

Get them open (screws are countersunk if I remember well) take good pics front and back. Peeps here can tell you exactly what MJ did - you can repeat that. Get a pair for stereo image/depth. Great on Mandolin, fiddle etc.

I now use SDC in pairs on acoustic instruments of all sorts (these older Neumann my favourites-see pic ;) )

You (or a friend) can do it !
It’s not rocket science, believe me!
Just need good soldering skills.
Welcome to DIY, my friend !

M

Attachments

• 3CD05B1E-99B0-43C1-86F9-AED251E1CDE7.jpeg
    3CD05B1E-99B0-43C1-86F9-AED251E1CDE7.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Cool!
MXL991 is readely available still now (just saw one for £30 in London shop).

Get them open (screws are countersunk if I remember well) take good pics front and back. Peeps here can tell you exactly what MJ did - you can repeat that. Get a pair for stereo image/depth. Great on Mandolin, fiddle etc.

I now use SDC in pairs on acoustic instruments of all sorts (these older Neumann my favourites-see pic ;) )

You (or a friend) can do it !
It’s not rocket science, believe me!
Just need good soldering skills.
Welcome to DIY, my friend !

M
Wouldn't it be difficult to replicate the capsule MJ used? Thus making it v difficult to use as a stereo pair? I wouldn't be willing to take the head of the mic apart... Also the head of the mic looks different to the stock 991, so perhaps that's custom and again difficult to replicate.

I get what you're saying about a pair, but for the moment I'm happy to have this as a single mic. I've a bunch of pairs of mics at present (414s, 451s, NT5s). But this MJ 991 is my fav on mandolin.

I'm gonna dip my toe into this mic mod malarkey slowly. From this forum I found the mod for the AKG c1000. And someone on gearspace posted saying it's their fav mic on mandolin after the modification, above a km84. I'm very dubious of this, but just so happens I've a fully working c1000 and a broken one someone gave me (grill missing), so that's gonna be my first project. Mod the broken one. Do some shootouts on various mandolins between the two. Nice way to start the modding journey

Attachments

• PXL_20240831_090920933.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240831_090920933.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Attachments

• PXL_20240903_184223019.jpg
    PXL_20240903_184223019.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks for this!

Mine isn't shaving down, more tapered in, so the grill is almost flush with the casing at the point of contact. Photo attached...
Unfortunately, I think Joly was trying to make it look like a KM84, the mic he was inviting comparison to.
The rounded-off edge is much better, whether it sounds more like a KM84 or not, IMHO.

You'll notice that the beveled edge on the Neumann is much narrower/shallower than that.

This is what some of us have done with the Pronomic SCM1/Takstar CM-60; tests by @kingkorg showed that most of the peakiness of that capsule was due to how deeply recessed the diaphragm was; not nearly so much the slotted grille, as was originally thought. Many fine-sounding mics have had slotted grilles like that; though not as deep):

Attachments

• SCM1.jpg
    SCM1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back