Microphone mount; access to mounting holes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trans4funks1

Hi,
I've been thinking through the assembly of a DIY tube mic. I've got some Chinese capsules and capsule mounts to use for early attempts.

It seems like the mounting holes in the dome shaped mount's base are aligned with the capsule saddle in such a way that I have to disassemble the mount to get the base screwed down to the mic's metal work.

It seems like it would be ideal if I could mount the capsule to the base and then screw the base onto the metal work, but it doesn't seem like it will work out that way. It seems like I'll have to screw the dome to the base first and then mount the capsule after that. It seems like this will be unnecessarily awkward.

It seems like it would be really easy if the capsule saddle, or the hole pattern in the base, was oriented, or rotated 90 degrees but there is a key way that makes the alignment of the saddle block the mounting holes in the base.

I'm wondering how you guys go about mounting your capsules to the metal work.

IMG_9554.jpg

what about the other 2 screws that fasten the rails to the top plate--the mount and plate and capsule all at once

The rigt angle screw driver seems feasible, but it also seems like a pain.

The metal plate idea seems practical for initial assembly, but it might be a hassle for swapping capsules once a mic is assembled completely

Can the metal post can be spun 90* without breaking stuff? It seems like having the dome base mounting holes rotated 90*, with corresponding holes added to the metal plate would be the easiest in the long term.

Back