Mix Bus Compressor from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, when I started the project I was in remission, now it has come back and I start a course of immunotherapy next week. In addition I have arthritis in both hands and some carpal tunnel problems in my right, probably caused by a lifetime of DIY!!!

I still have to get this mix bus to the finish line though :)
best
DaveP
Thanks dave for all your hard work

I’ve always enjoyed working with you

And I use your audio boxes every week. I’ve had four songs on radio two this year that use your boxes
Ian

Last edited:
I’ve always enjoyed working with you
We have been working together for eight years now and it has been one of the most rewarding relationships of my life.....Thank You!
Those "boxes", as you charmingly call them, were built to last, unlike myself! You are blessed with a great pair of ears and you can hear things that I can't, so I'm very grateful for the important feedback you have given me, which has helped me to build the gear for you with the sound that you want.
All the best
Dave

Back to the Signal to Noise ratio:-
First of all I have listened to it on headphones and I can hear nothing, that means very little, but it is a basic first check.

I noticed that the noise was modulated on the unhelpful 162kHz sine wave from Allouis, if I shorten the horizontal time, I can measure the noise at 2mV peak to peak. CORRECTION. with the base cover on its about 1.2mV This works out at 424uV rms. With an output of 1.6V into 600 ohms, this works out at 71.5dB unweighted, I hope this will be enough!
best
DaveP

Last edited:
Yes, when I started the project I was in remission, now it has come back and I start a course of immunotherapy next week. In addition I have arthritis in both hands and some carpal tunnel problems in my right, probably caused by a lifetime of DIY!!!

I still have to get this mix bus to the finish line though :)
best
DaveP
Good luck with your health issue.

Getting old sucks...

JR

is the oscilation present when power is switched off and no in/out connections
Just trying to understand what the conditions were...

The 162kHz oscillation is present on the scope on the most sensitive settings even when the mix bus comp is turned off and the probe disconnected. From that I've deduced that it has nothing to do with the mix bus comp, but its just interference due to pick up from the Allouis Long Wave transmitter.
best
DaveP

Actually no, it was not a problem when I made the 627, it is something that has just started recently.
best
DaveP
How about a cardboard box lined inside and out with aluminium foil tagged to earth with a cut out so you see the screen on the oscilloscope, yes an idea pardon the pun thinking outside of the box here, just an idea.

Just guessing : maybe-inductor based LP filtering somewhere? Or just gain stage filtering to keep hi-FQ stuff out?

The 162kHz oscillation is present on the scope on the most sensitive settings even when the mix bus comp is turned off and the probe disconnected. From that I've deduced that it has nothing to do with the mix bus comp, but its just interference due to pick up from the Allouis Long Wave transmitter.
best
DaveP
Can you put a ferrite clamp (or two...) on the scope probe?

Almost certainly ground wave propagation so over the horizon would be no problem. There is a licence free band at 160KHz in the USA:

https://hackaday.com/2021/10/19/the-low-down-on-long-wave-unlicensed-experimental-radio/

Cheers

ian
Since Dave said he is 200 kM away from the site, it's interesting to contemplate what the RF field intensity is near the site which could cause "reception" at that distance. Figuring it drops via the inverse square law, it must be a gazillon mV per meter in Allouis! lol

Bri

Since Dave said he is 200 kM away from the site, it's interesting to contemplate what the RF field intensity is near the site which could cause "reception" at that distance. Figuring it drops via the inverse square law, it must be a gazillon mV per meter in Allouis! lol

Bri
Reminds me of the story of the guy who lived near a newly erected TV transmitter mast. He wound some turns of wire around his loft and managed to run his lights off it. He was only found out when neighbours in his "shadow" complained of poor reception after dark.

Cheers

Ian

In the late 60's I played with band at a gig very near the big transmitter on the hill just south of London. When we turned on our Selmer amps we got radio and TV stations loud and clear. 68k grid stoppers could not overcome it!
best
DaveP

Latest posts

Back