Mixers: Analogue vs digital

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be written on it....if really in doubt read the manual. Never be afraid to read, it makes life easier.

Apart the obvious (reading the manual - cracking reply..) I have been scratching my head and the best I can come up with..

For cheaper mixers only (less than £3k)

Any indication of a ADAT port on the back of them... Digital
If it's got a PSU bigger than a wall wart - Analogue

I'm not sure what you mean.. do you mean how can you tell which is which? yes the wall wart is one way but here in the US trafo wallwarts are soon to be extinct as legislation has passed to move to switching PSUs instead so that won't be a valid way in the near future.

My analog console has "ADAT" analog connectors on the back.. but it's also made by alesis for use with the adat.. It also has MIDI connections too.

The only way i can tell is by reading the literature. Look in the specification sections where they usually give specs on the ADC and DAC conversion systems. Other than that they usually say one way or another in the brochures.

I agree why the drawing board this is more a lab or brewery question.
I am trying to understand the question. But I will answer. There are various ways to tell if a console is analog(good) or digital(not like analog). It's simple. usually a digital console will have a smaller footprint, have one group of controls which would control the channel strip when accessed, processes all audio digitally I.E. gets converted on the way in and is a digital siginal till possiblely the way out, Has digital inputs and outputs, Usually will have a fairly small power supply which may or may not be external and lastly has switchable inputs I.E. MIc input one can show up on any channel without patch cable.. As for Analog, Well It processes audio in the analog world and will usually not convert it to a digital signal, Has Analog Connections, Has controls(EQ, Pre, etc, etc,etc) on each channel strip, Has set inputs that unlesses patched via patchbay will always be connected I.E. Mic input one will always show up on input channel one unless patched around, USually has external Power Supplies/supply, Has large Footprint,etc,etc,etc. You get the idea. SOme COnsoles are a hybreed console that is analog and digital LIke the Otari Concepts which is digital control of analog circuit so it looks analog and sounds analog but has digital control so routing(busses, auxes) is done in the master section and each channel must be access. Neevee did that with the horrible 8*1*0*8 series. Is there a reason you ask? Is there a board you are looking to buy?

Back