Modding dj mixer channel faders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorisds2

Hi

I have had this dj mixer for so long and honestly out of all the mixers I have played on, it's still the most pleasurable and smooth one to play on!

Only one annoying problem...

When you set the gains for a certain channel to 0db when cueing (pfl), it comes out as +6db on the master when the fader is fully open. This is a problem because as a dj you try to keep the levels out of the red and like this you don't really have full control over the levels.

I was wondering if adding 2 resistors (stereo) in series with each channel fader would do the trick. Just lowering the general signal so +6db will actually be 0db. I have attached a picture of the mixer.

Would there be any problems doing this mod?

Kind regards!

Attachments

• dateq-xtc.jpg
    dateq-xtc.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
In the absence of a schematic dgm, it's hard to answer.
It looks like a design fault, so before modding, one has to try to understand if it is really a design fault or a failure to understand the designer's intention.
Then, in order to make the mixer act as you wish, it is probably possible to do a mod, such as the one you suggest, but determining the value of such resistor would be the result of trial-and-error.

Why don't you just ignore the (possibly arbitrary) markings of the Master Volume pot, and set it so that 0db on the faders gives you 0dB on the LEDs?

Adding a couple of resistors as you suggest would probably do the trick. However, it is likely that the faders are soldered direct to a PCB which would make implementing the mod rather awkward. What is the make and model of mixer.

Cheers

Ian

And on fader legend 0db and provision for +6db gain with the fader fully open.
legend and behavior are in line. So... the issue is the dj which can't resist to push it at max. The answer to this is to reference your preamp level to minus 6 on the bargraph rather than 0db when in pfl. Issue solved. ;)

Dear Jorisds2

I think its a know problem with this Dateq mixer.
Contact Dateq for a schematic give them the serial number of your mixer having send them the correct schematic by email. They are very friendly.

here is the contact data :

DATEQ AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES​

Dateq BV
De Paal 37
1351 JG Almere
Nederland
Tel: (+31) (0)36 547 22 22
Email: [email protected]

I saw those but it is not clear to me if Dateq or XTC are the manufacturer and I am sure the complete model number is a little more complex. Search engines need all the help they can get.

Cheers

Ian
The manufacturer is Dateq and the model is eXTaCy. Dateq is the manufacturer of Broadcast Mixers like BCS25,BCS50,BCS70,BCS100 and BCS200.
They also manufacture smaller mixers like LPM7.4,ACE and XTC.
See my other post how to reach them.

How about simply adjusting the channel gain for -6dB on the meters when using PFL. Then with the fader up at +6dB the output should be 0dB.

Cheers

Ian

I prefer my idea of PFL at 0db, faders at 0db, adjust output volume control for 0db.
Isn't that what the volume control is for?

I prefer my idea of PFL at 0db, faders at 0db, adjust output volume control for 0db.
Isn't that what the volume control is for?
From reading the user manual, It is not clear to me which outputs are affected by the output volume control.

I any case, the volume control may well be after the meters so the readings on the meters might be unaffected by this method. Also, my suggesting of reducing channel gain will maintain proper headroom.

It is all rather academic though in the absence of a schematic. The manufacturer does not even include a block diagram in the manual.

Cheers

Ian

Only one annoying problem...

When you set the gains for a certain channel to 0db when cueing (pfl), it comes out as +6db on the master when the fader is fully open. This is a problem because as a dj you try to keep the levels out of the red and like this you don't really have full control over the levels.
OK, back to the original post.

So you have a problem keeping the levels out of the red.

OK, back to the original post.

So you have a problem keeping the levels out of the red.
Hi,
Its totally not about that.
First of all I play a genre which has a typical mix style of playing with the faders very frequently en abruptly (bit like hardcore/gabber) where you take out the track at times for 1 second and add it in again. This makes it virtually impossible to use the fader markings of 0db etc.

As suggested I could surely try to pfl at -6dB, its renders the led meter kinda useless as I constantly have to make sure its the -6db led and not the 0db led as theyre both orange!! This in a dark environement with a genre that requires fast mixing and constant focus is just a bit annoying 🙂 I got the suggestion of altering the gain stage of the channel, it’s a cleaner way of doing this mod! I will try to look at it with an oscilloscope but if it seems to complex for me I guess I will just have to accept my problems 😅
Thanks for all the replies!

Hi,
Its totally not about that.
First of all I play a genre which has a typical mix style of playing with the faders very frequently en abruptly (bit like hardcore/gabber) where you take out the track at times for 1 second and add it in again. This makes it virtually impossible to use the fader markings of 0db etc.

As suggested I could surely try to pfl at -6dB, its renders the led meter kinda useless as I constantly have to make sure its the -6db led and not the 0db led as theyre both orange!! This in a dark environement with a genre that requires fast mixing and constant focus is just a bit annoying 🙂 I got the suggestion of altering the gain stage of the channel, it’s a cleaner way of doing this mod! I will try to look at it with an oscilloscope but if it seems to complex for me I guess I will just have to accept my problems 😅
Thanks for all the replies!

I perform D&B and had such issue too when doing cuts and all without using crossfade but chanel fader.
The +6db reserve on fader is because of broadcast legacy where dj can compensate real time for weak passage in material. The thing being this ergonomic issue for us 'music' dj is often compensated by overall electronic quality ( i use or used Eclerc/Mitec/A&H/Freevox which all were broadcast oriented mixers cause they are smooth sounding (eq) and a dream to operate ( 100mm fader and enough space between knobs/faders/...) imho).

Why not just change the -6db led on your bargraph? Put some white or blue in there ( or maybe a green one, not sure blue or white would accept to work without changing some accompanying resistors). Would be easier and help in dark.

Anyway if you lower your input gain you'll increase headroom within chanel and this will be noticed long/medium term by audience as it's cleaner sounding and less annoying than clipping when 'boosting on eq' on the dancefloor. I know it's something i often get comments about when i perform ( maybe it's more audible as i play vinyl exclusively) wrt other dj which doesn't seems to be able to maintain their overall level constant during a mix or boost each track 10db or more in low end... 🙄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back