Modify the Shure SM57 Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ, did you find out what the screw does?

[no, I'm not near any SM57 to just try for myself]

I tried to move it but the locktite...

Could have done it but risked destruction, which is not a bad thing, IT STILL IS EATIN AT ME WHAT THAT DOES, iTHINK IT'S EITHER MAGNET ALIGN OR Inductance, sorry kURT!

[quote author="soundguy"]betas have a different grille and have that blue stripe around them. I always wondered if the capsules were the same. Ive heard that the 58, 57 and 7 all have the same capsule, would stand to reason the beta is the same with a different grille, but Im absolutely pulling that out of my ass, I have no idea.[/quote]
i have to correct this, there is so much mis-information around about the capsules in Shure mics
in the last 20 odd years there have been 3 main denominations of shure dynamic stage mics (i dont count poo gee).
original SM series: SM57 & SM58 both use a different cartridge however both are based on the same design and very similar. the main difference in sound is due to the body and grill. there have been no major changes as many believe.
from Shure "The SM57 has had no major changes over the years. There have been a host of minor improvements made since its introduction.
The dies and tools used to create the cartridge do wear out and they are custom made. As the old ones wear out, we have to custom make new dies and tools. This may account for any slight variation between older microphones and newer microphones. "
when talking about a mic that has been in production for so many years you cant expect them to all sound the same. does a vintage Neumann sound the same a modern one? No, you also have to remember things are not manufactured to exact specs but rather within a tolerance of the spec (i believe Shure tolerances are within 3db). all my 57s sound different and they are all modern mics and 2 should be from the same batch.

next up the original beta series: Beta is the 2nd letter in the Greek alphabet (but who cares) they were given the name as they were designed to be better mics. however as always it depends on the source, for some application a beta may be to bright or there may be other considerations. beta 57/58 used completely different capsules and had a tighter polar pattern.

modern Betas: beta 56a/57a/58a modern greeny/blue color and hardened grill we recognise as betas (original beta57 had the best grill). the suffix 'a' denoting super-cardioid as well as distinguishing it from the original. a new capsule design that was based on the sound and polar pattern of the original beta series but not the same. new and much improved transformer design one of the primary design goals was to minimise sound variation of the mic under different loads, primarily for when using FOH/monitor/recording splits. the tranny makes the mics considerably more expensive to produce than an SM or even an original beta.
the only mics that use the same capsule are the Beta56a and Beta57a

thee are better mics for most application but if you cant get a decent sound with a Shure dynamic you have other problems or your in the wrong game. nothing beats the strength and reliability of a shure dynamic and ill always take Shures for stage work.

anyway where did i put my mic case its time to consider this mod.

It is true the SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference between them is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a separate grille with a very effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where smaller grille size is preferred. In this application the pop and wind are not usually a concern. The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of the microphones in a different acoustical environment. First of all, the distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is significantly shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for closer sound pickup with even more pronounced proximity effect. Secondly, a different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.

from the shure website knowledgebase

Did the mod on two 57's this morning, here's what I hear so far:

Much lower output, as expected.

I prefer the mod on high and middle rack tom. Less wonky mids, and much better low end, but not much difference in the highs, to my ears,
but I'm pretty sure I have some permenant damage up there. I think I like it as much as my usual 421, almost.

Seems more pleasing plugged into my Valley pre than into my DBX stuff.

Didn't care for it, surprisingly, on floor tom. Maybe too much low-ish mud,
though I'd definitely use it live for this rather than bring out a more expensive mic to get stolen/broken/rained on, etc.

Snare drum, definitely a different flavor, but I'm not sure it's any better, just different. Maybe duct tape mod/no-mod together and mix to taste.

Well worth the time to my ears.

Guitar cabs are next.

[quote author="Bo Hansén"]Hi Perth_sound_guy,

Welcome to our forum.
Thanks, very interesting information.

BTW, do you work for the Shure company ???

--Bo[/quote]

cheers, been reading a few things on here for awhile, hopefully ill get around to building something soon

i dont work for Shure, my information is based on Shure literature a few things written by (ex) Shure employees and use of the mics

HI,

The capsule of my SM57 is Dead, the plastic is damage...

Is it possible to replace it?

Is it possible to use a SM 58 Capsule? for the SM57, I Have only find SM 58 capsule.

Where I can Find a SM 57 capsule?

thanks

[quote author="mathflan"]HI,

The capsule of my SM57 is Dead, the plastic is damage...

Is it possible to use a SM 58 Capsule? for the SM57, I Have only find SM 58 capsule.

thanks[/quote]

You could always fit a different capsule....

I just bought a B*eyer M201 capsule for £10 on Evilbay.

You could try a Panasonic electret (ie. PZM style)...

fit a different capsule!

It won't be a sm57 anymore...

anyway, I'm french and it's hard to find Microphones capsule...

I will Ask to shure directly, maybe they sell them.

[quote author="mathflan"]
...anyway, I'm french and it's hard to find Microphones capsule...
[/quote]

I know, but I am ordering my B*eyer capsule from Australia.... Use Ebay!

I don't really like the SM57 which is why I suggested using a different capsule.

I advise anyone who wants to upgrade their SM57 and who have not already heard a B*eyer M201 to go and try one as an alternative...

[quote author="mathflan"]The capsule of my SM57 is Dead, the plastic is damage...

[/quote]
yes, from memory its an R57 cartridge, the cartridge and grill assembly part numbers are listed in the manual. the sm 58 uses a different cartridge they are not interchangeable.
contact your local Shure dealer

[quote author="mathflan"]
[/quote]

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=33057

Maybe PM this guy?

UTC.jpg

this UTC O-8 xformer sounds pretty good inside a Sure. There is a lot of high frequency roll off, not good for vocals, but sounds great on guitar. It takes the "honky" high mid boost out of the 57. I put it in a SM58 and compared it to my stock 57 on electric guitar. They're identical around 500hz, after that the UTC gets progressively quieter in the high frequencies. It makes the mic sound like it has more lows (though it does not).

If I could only use one mic on a guitar cab, I would grab my new UTC SM58 before the 57. It especially rocked on clean lead guitar riffs.

Thanks for the idea CJ!

No problem!
I took apart thr O-9 last night and discovered that it is wound on an M6 core, not good for mic transformer.

Pictures at 11.

Maybe other ouncer's hold more promise.
Thanks for the news on that experiment!

Better efficiency with the mu metal, the sensitive mic signal does not get lost in the core as easily.

It takes more signal to get off the that bottom knee of the BH curve with the M6. But M6 will take 18,000 k gauss flux, as compared to supermalloy, which runs at 6 k gaus and less. This makes M6 better for power applications, like output and pwr supply iron.

50/50 is right in between, it takes 16,000 gauss and is more sensitive than M6, so it is used in medium level transformers, l,ike line in, innerstage, and low level outputs.

Some freaks use hi perm at high flux, like Ercil B Harrison did on the S-217 D Peerless output for the Pultec. Thats what the people like, saturated nickel.

I will just bet you that the 217 has a mitered core, that is, groups of lams all facing the same way, maybe 6 or 8 groups per core, so a gapped situation is imitated.

Back