Modifying a Chandle Tube Driver to work on 220v

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True - but the text on the PCB suggest that your unit is old enoug to have been made before the EU standard of 2009 and that the Transformer is 220Vac. (unless there is a text on itself saying 115/230Vac.) .... and sometimes we still see the same sparepart numbers afterwards (maybe with an appendix to it).
Bottom line is Chandler almost certainly use the same transformer for products shipped all over Europe and they would have been in deep doo doo if one had ever burst into flames.

Cheers

ian

Just as a potential alternate solution- I have a home made tube driver sortof 12ax7 starved plate distortion/boost box that I built before my kids were born. It ran on a 12vac wall wart which was both mechanically noisy and added the tiniest bit of AC line hum when stacked into a dirty amp (Marshall!!) or low gain pedal set like a Marshall.

When I finally had enough of it (after ten years of use) I gutted the power supply section and installed a little 1w 12v to +/-15v isolated DC-DC converter. I was surprised how little capacitance it needed, and how much internal space was saved!!

Now it draws about 150ma on 12vdc. One could easily connect a DC-DC this way without permanently altering a classic effect.

Oh, and it's dead quiet now! 😋

Jamie

Latest posts

Back