Monitor mixer, something decent & cheap?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

I am in need of a better mixer to use for monitor mixing in my little studio... 16 (or more) channels, without a billion bells and whistles.... Line only would be great, no need for preamps in my case.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I should say I'm using an ev8108 right now.... Im looking at a used Yamaha MG166C, it seems to fit my needs, and my budget... If anyone has any experience with this board, please let me know what you think.

Thanks

I've used that Yamaha a couple of times, the problem for me were two, both to do with clipping and distortion.
The first one is the pre can't manage high level sources, minimum gain is to high and won't manage a kick with any dynamic mic for the task, needs some at ten before, same for the snare and even some voices with high output mics. For you, that don't need preamps and can control in some way the line levels I guess won't be a problem.

The other is in the summing section, which also tends to run into clipping easily and bad distortion, but it could be managed using the master fader all the way up, or close at least, so tracks run lower levels and avoid this problem.

About the EQ I hess you know yamaha eq, nothing new on this one, bit too low Q for my taste and freq range little short, is ok for most cases, but sometimes you need a little bit more and with this consoles, with a simple single parametric eq you wish a little more sometimes. And compressors, well, don't expect much from them, but sometimes useful for problematic sources, and when it's the only thing you have.

I think it's a nice mixer for your what you need, if sends are enough for you, you don't need preamps at least in critical, loud things and you are fine with their eq. Also remember the summing thing that will help you there and don't expect much from comps. Those are the things to have in mind with this, other than that it works nice and better than others on the price range. I do like Soundcraft epm series also, with other considerations to have in mind.

JS

Thanks for the reply joaquins,  I ended up getting a mackie CR1604-VLZ... It seemed like a a better way to go for only a few bucks more, based on what I could gather.  I appreciate your response, it helped a bit in my decision making process!

Seeker said:
Thanks for the reply joaquins,  I ended up getting a mackie CR1604-VLZ... It seemed like a a better way to go for only a few bucks more, based on what I could gather.  I appreciate your response, it helped a bit in my decision making process!

Nice catch! I worked with one of those for some time (another version, 24 channels 6 aux IIRC) really nice mixer for rock, some distortion but a much nicer one, and less noisy than many others. I never got used to the aux over the eq though... strange configuration. Frequency range is broader than yamaha, nice eq, it took some time for me to figure this mixer out but I liked it at the end, give it a chance if you are not 100% happy at the first time. As it's VLZ (Very Low Impedance) inside, it has less noise but higher distortion, so try to use it with the preamps low, and master faders high, unless you want that distortion of course, then you can play with this, it takes some time but you will get used to it (except for the AUX over EQ  :p)

Congrats, enjoy it.

JS

Back