Monitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

I'm in a dilemma, kind of. I'm contemplating my first pair of active monitors but that class D crap is crapping me out. I'm assuming they use power ICs in those things. I know they sound good but I feel like the ol brute force design is better. Sway me.

I prefer newer monitors with class d bi-amps over passives powered by good external discrete amps. Industry got very good at making such packages sounding surprisingly good considering their low price.

Even the KH-120 from Neumann has its issues with reliability , Ive seen the same with many modern active monitors using class D and switchmode psu's , they dont last more than a few years .
Ive had a set of behringer truth monitors for over 20 years and their still going strong , old fashioned transformer based PSU and no crappy class D stuff going on inside .

These active monitors are cheap in comparison to a good passive setup. Even modern power amps are looking substandard to me. I recently killed my home brewed solid state amp that served me well for close to 20yrs. After a brief scan of what's out their at below astronomical prices, I can put her back together with a fresh design for about $200. I have an even older amp standing in right now. Sounds just as good but a little noisy.

My brother uses active monitors in his home studio and I go there to mix some of his stuff from time to time. I also reference my own mixes there also. I really should grab a pair this week.

Modern active monitors can combine active crossovers, active EQ, delay compensation, and protection circuitry.

The class D efficiency is just icing on the cake.

JR

I have stuff thats still on its first set of PSU capacitors after 70 years and it still works , thats effeciency , something that dies after a few years and has to go to scrap is only hastening our demise as a species .

at the current rate of wastefullness of resources ,were completely bollocksed lets face it

Welp Musician's Friend is having a sale on the MX 8 for $109 per. I am familiar with them so I grabbed a set.

Last edited:
Monitors are here, hooked up and making noise. Sounding real good but I'm not pushing them until after they break in.

Back