More cooking! (This time it's French)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingnote

Here's a fave classic from the Hiltl in Zürich, adulterated by yours truly...

Mushroom Stroganoff!

stroganoff6.jpg

The candidates: Mixed wild and not-so-wild mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, shallots.

Try to include Shii-Take if you can.

stroganoff1.jpg

Do your duty  ;D

stroganoff2.jpg

Sauté the mushrooms Café de Paris. Important: Do not crowd them or they won't brown.

Ca. 1-2 minutes each side until lovely, with fresh butter for every batch (gaaaah).

Yes this takes for ever.

But it makes all the difference.

stroganoff3.jpg

Give the bell peppers a run for their money:

stroganoff4.jpg

And set aside. Note the sautéd onions and shallots - deglaze the pan with some dry sherry.

stroganoff5.jpg

Into the copper pot:

stroganoff7.jpg

And let it snow. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.

stroganoff8.jpg

Glug glug in the dry sherry and let it simmer in a bit. Then - seasoning time!

Add tomato paste, major paprika, bay leaf, fresh thyme, stock or bouillon cube, salt and pepper.

stroganoff9.jpg

1 can of tomatoes passés and fill up generously with cream.

Let simmer on micro-flame for 5-10 mins.

Add sliced pickles at the very end.

Wonderful with rice or noodles.

stroganoff10.jpg

ah PS don't overeat.

Seriously, I mean it.

Volker, wanna come over? ;)

Haha this is sooooo funny! Ima try and cook this next week. Looks like we got some things in common....If were not on DIY bench, we're cooking  ;D ;D ;D
Looks great btw!

Awesome! Let me know how it turned out!

Yeah it's just flour for thickening :)

Cook down to act as roux yada yada.

It's kinda a way of making Julia Child's techniques piggyback on one of my most
favorite dishes.

You can probably go Hungarian pretty easy by adding Sauerkraut :)

It's got an evil twin brother too, vegetarian Zürich geschnetzeltes. Leave out the bell
pepper and paprika + pickles thing, and go with Cognac + dry white wine instead of sherry,
(flambé, yeeha) adding some Seitan or soy-sauce marinated Tofu, sautéd.

You serve that one with Rösti, which is basically hash browns. Killer.

I even have this whole philosophy thing going on about cooking=mixing=DIY.

You know - first, get the best, freshest ingredients = get the best recording = get the most awesome components

Use the right pots, pans etc. = get together great-sounding gear = have a bench that rocks

Then - cook them all à point = put the tracks through the right processing channels = nest the components in a network that makes them sound right

And - put them all in one pot in the right proportions = do the mixdown to your taste = solder everything together so it's in harmony

Finally - adjust seasoning etc = do proper sum processing = fine-tune the device as a whole.

Kinda how I think :)

Right - your turn, guys. Let's play kooken der five-star ;D

Oh man! oh!
Looks absolutely delicious. The biggest problem with me and the red peppers is that I would eat them raw before they had the chance to go into the pan. But, great stuff.

Well it certainly is magic but there's no limit to creativity  ;D

Oh btw moruk, I believe the pepper part. If you're in Berlin, try the Atesli Tavuk at the Defne. You'll die :)

livingnote said:
Well it certainly is magic but there's no limit to creativity  ;D

Oh btw moruk, I believe the pepper part. If you're in Berlin, try the Atesli Tavuk at the Defne. You'll die :)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Woah. Now you are talking. Deal. Next time I am over DIY gathering will be held in there. And all on me. Promise.

I'm in :) Mezze and tomato soup for starters, and Tekirdag!

I'll help you with the bill ;D

But only if you're in accordance of course. Getting this op set up, whoa...show's yours is fine with me :)

Honored to be your guest.

Wonderful :)

Our old band drummer was Turkish - Harun. He's one of the best friends I have.

I ended up living in Neukölln here, which is the Turkish capital in Europe outside of Turkey itself.

And of course they bring all their awesomeness along ;)

When they're not busy playing Mafia Wars, that is - but actually it's the safest place to be owing to that.

Nobody messes with.

Ha ha ha. Probably that was why the Raki was invented. To chill usTurks out. After two "duble" around the table you make pact even with your mother-in-law. My case is a bit tragic. Expression in Turkish goes as " yagmurdan kactim, doluya tutuldum" meaning I run away from the rain but caught up in sleet. Left the mafioso Turks and got married to Irish-Italian, and Catholic of course. You can't make a more explosive combination. But the food is good. That keeps me going. ;D

livingnote said:
I even have this whole philosophy thing going on about cooking=mixing=DIY.

You know - first, get the best, freshest ingredients = get the best recording = get the most awesome components

Use the right pots, pans etc. = get together great-sounding gear = have a bench that rocks

Then - cook them all à point = put the tracks through the right processing channels = nest the components in a network that makes them sound right

And - put them all in one pot in the right proportions = do the mixdown to your taste = solder everything together so it's in harmony

Finally - adjust seasoning etc = do proper sum processing = fine-tune the device as a whole.

That's straight up awesome!

Cheers :) I guess surfing the world laterally is one cool thing...you find all the old principles behind everything  :D

Holy Guacamole that sounds like me - what do we say in English - from the frying pan into the fire :)

I did makeup on a theatre performance here in Berlin for the Tiyatrom - ironically of all the performances
I could have done it was "Alamancilar", bang on the nail. It was a major success and I couldn't understand
a word, but I caught on to the storyline fast enough that basically here we have a 2nd generation of Turks
born in Germany who go back home and visit their families, but the kids of course have all the German-street
"I'll do whatever the hell I please" behaviour, which made for 2 hours of total comedy - and a lot of very loud
communication...but everybody was just touched. You get the "outsider" thing coming and going...

Similar thing over here - I left the "we have the power" banking-and-holding world to just flat out be the artist
I am, leading of course to the usual x years of you-know-what ;)

Oh well...

Yeap, "Almanci" has made it to Turkish language now. Anybody who lives abroad is now "Almanci". No matter how many times I say I live in UK, no you are "Almanci".

My uncle is a prety well known actor in Turkey. Although he makes his living mostly from TV and cinema he is a theatre actor in his roots. he also had a company that performed a lot of children theatre between 1981 and 83. I used to do his sound and light. At that time he used to collaborate with Grips theatre in Berlin and staged the translations of a lot of their plays. His elder brother whom is an artist and musician did the translation and adapted the music. He of course was an "Almanci" too. He worked in Germany as a graphic artist during late 70s. He was a very well respected illustrater in Turkish press in those days. I suppose still is among the old timers.

Yes, the Almanci kids used to get a bit shock when they were back in Turkey but not anymore. Well I suppose they do but in a different way. The kids in Turkey shock them with what they do now. During late 70s when my then girlfriend turned up at my father's shop with a mini skirt the whole neighbours were scandalised. But now my nephews turn up, totally gutted with Raki at 4 o'clock in the morning and my five times a day praying brother (his dad) gets up and makes him a "iskembe corbasi" to sober up. But we were always a liberal family and the tradition still continues.

Unfortunately I do not have the speakers connected onto my PC anymore but that band is very famous in Turkey but I  find the singing side of Turkish pop-rock very raw. Strangely enough the rap fitted in perfectly. There is a guy called  Ceza and I just love him. A totally poet guy and a great rapper. But the general musicianship among the new generation unfortunately has no individuality. Everybody is still trying to play like Vai and/or that sort of playing.

See where we ended up. And we have not even touched the Raki yet. They'd better deny me entry. Otherwise when we meet up we'll unite Germany and Turkey by the end of that Raki session.  ;D

Regards.

That's it. This one here is going to Istanbul :)

If you're coming to Berlin, do bring along some awesome
layout, etching party compliments of the house.

And bring something BIG ;)

You got it. Promise. ;D

I forgot to mention. Try to go to Istanbul this summer. Istanbul is European City of Culture this year and a lot going on. Particularly in central areas like Sultanahmet, Galata or Taksim tons of street performance stuff. Not to mention live music is everywhere. Watch out your wallet though and I am not joking.

I am trying to put up an exhibition too. Although I am quite late you never know, I may ask you lot to come up for the opening.

Wow - now I really wanna go, though Mr. inner CFO would have his 2cents...an actor friend of mine
(the guy from the Comp sustainer post) is possibly gonna do a 6+ month stint down there in theater.

One place I'm gonna be is London not too far off anymore...

Here comes my next misdeed: Fondue de Poulet à la Crème (my style).

Basic browning of the dried chicken breast in plentiful butter - note "browned", not "cooked", because that part comes
later, you don't want it drying out.

poulet1.jpg

Set the chicky aside and pop in a load of chopped shallots. Cook these very slowly on a low flame for about 5 minutes:

poulet2.jpg

Add seasoning - salt, pepper, curry (not too much so it stays subtle and just rides on the edge of the taste buds so
everybody goes kicking themselves to find out what it is).

Flo is gonna love this: In goes the chicken, raise heat to maximum, a good glug of Cognac, and then you set it on fire:

poulet3.jpg

Once that's cooked down, I like some white wine or dry sherry in...let that cook down too.

Now you douse it with cream (put a lid on) and cook that on minimum heat for ca. 30 mins or till the chicken's done.

Done = springy and tender, not "has its own opinion about things"

poulet4.jpg

Pull the chicken back out and do "la sauce, c'est tout": Lemon juice to taste (don't worry if the sauce is curdled after
the 30min session, this'll smooth it out again) and then add fresh cream.

poulet5.jpg

And then, put it together and serve:

poulet6.jpg

Lethal  ;D

Latest posts

Back