Swiss for Keef

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingnote

...and the Swiss guys can kill me later for doing Spätzle instead of Rösti.

Here comes:

Zürich Gschnetzlets

=> What the Swiss male brain puts out when it sees baby cows.

You can do an awesome vegetarian version with marinated tofu as well.

Here's basic ingredients - veal, onion, button mushrooms and my personal Shii-take addition:

gschnetzlets1.jpg

And my default behavior of cutting it into strips (i.e. "schnetzling", which gives the dish its name):

gschnetzlets2.jpg

Dry the meat so it'll brown nicely, and then sear that in hot clarified butter...

gschnetzlets3.jpg

Until it looks like this, which is just about 2-3 minutes total, any more and you go overboard.

gschnetzlets4.jpg

Café de Paris mushroom treatment, i.e., read each one its horoscope individually and don't crowd them.

gschnetzlets5.jpg

Which gives you the good stuff for assembling later. Tender but browned veal, champignons à point.

gschnetzlets6.jpg

Now generally you'd have tomato paste in with the onions, I didn't have any so I pounded some sun-dried tomatoes
(just lucky they'd gone way dry):

gschnetzlets7.jpg

And sautéd that with the onions.

gschnetzlets8.jpg

Everything back in, dust with flour and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes:

gschnetzlets9.jpg

And when Lukas hears "A dash of Brandy" he goes "wah cool I get to set it on fire again":

gschnetzlets10.jpg

That brown speckling on the wall there btw is from when I turned a Bialetti espresso maker into an airbrush by accidentally leaving out
the top sieve. This happened right after I had cleaned the kitchen top to bottom and inside out, so now "ahhh for a nice coffee..."

And then you can cook the spätzle gold brown in plenty of butter while you cook in dry white wine (don't totally overdo that part)
and let that boil down together with some veggie or veal stock, then add 2:1 milk:cream.

gschnetzlets11.jpg

So now you have:

gschnetzlets12.jpg

Wonderful Züri Gschnetzlets.

(Swissair used to call this the "Swiss national dish" which would create regular aggravation in the cabin just before landing).

Goes great with a glass of white wine, maaaajor noms.

If there's any Swiss guys out there who can rock the house at Rösti, please amend this post, because without
Rösti, the "Züri" part kinda goes away and turns into "Schwäbisch"  :p

But beautiful nonetheless ;)

Hmmm food's easier than electronics ?
cheaper maybe  , i buy the food
get fat [ ter ]  and don't worry about electronics
you may have just saved me allot of money

Looks like you have good taste in food & electronics , how about wine ?

Hmmm wine...yeah. So much good stuff, I'm probly more the tryer-outer there...well ok
I guess I'm that everywhere but...

Tignanello, Chateau Mouton you-know-who, Gran Coronas, Chateauneuf-du-Pape and some
awesome midprice Australian and NZ stuff...hmm...

Oh oh oh yeah right Bremerton! That eldest daughter has the touch last I heard.

...but all of which I can't afford so I just dream a lot, though there are some good ones out there
for €3.99 ;)

Ah right right: Trapiche Broquel Malbec 2006.

There's this awesome stuff in a 5 Liter cardboard bag-in-box thing from Portugal too but I don't
remember exactly what...

For white and rosé I'm not thaaaat picky. And Single Malts I could do all year round (Specifically
Ardbeg and Caol Ila and ->Glenturret<-, Cragganmore, Talisker and the 15 year Dalwhinnie)...

For the spätzle; did you home-make it, or is it (as is the spätzle which I bought) dried?

Is it boiled-then-buttered, or are there any other tips?

This looks FANTASTIC! Also, I can sell it to my wife as a diet-breaker'; -I was once offered a job at a well-known manufacturer just outside Zürich, and she and I enjoyed our visit there immensely!

Yum!!!

Keef

Ah well if they're dried you just cook them like noodles, be sure to make that water nice
and boiling before you chuck'em in and then just sample till al dente - might make sense
to give them a quick buttering or even 1-minute butter frying for über-goodness.

These I got out of the package preboiled...but next does come homemade edition :)

A diet breaker for sure though. What a nice one too...aw man, sometimes I do miss
the Alps...was there just a week ago and went all the way up on the mountain to the
castle ruin you can't see from the valley...hmm...but Berlin is great too ;)

My Metric Halos sure are kicking mine...the Berlin Gay Orchestra is a tad...uhh...pissed?

No they're "temperamental", that's their word, right ;)

Ah Kirschwasser, that's interesting, that would go in a Fondue direction, eh?

Btw, it wasn't my Metric Halos after all - it was the infernal Firewire repeater  :mad:

Nothing worse than that blasted repeater to keep all your boxes jumping in and out
of sync again and making all the digital noises you've come to loathe. And mind you,
this was a high-grade industrial "20m and gets put in a wall for 10 years" repeater.

Next: Mac Pro. The only FW port that was reliable: The front one. 2 years of intermittent
hell are coming...I hope...to a close.

Puah. Hi beer.

Lukas,

fwiw, and our set-up is very different, but our apparent problems with Firewire( oh no, it must be the computer - how are we gonna find another quad G5? Panic Panic Panic) turned out to be a dodgy firewire cable in our extended monitor cable. Affected the usb too, since this also went down the same cable! Disconnect the cable, and all is well. I am sure you will have tried disconnecting all peripherals, but just in case . . . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP.

ps Sorry to say that in my household, Lukas chicken has been renamed . . . . my 3 year old absolutely loves it, and it is now known as "BangBang" Chicken, for obvious reasons!!!! He sure loves to "BangBang" . . . . I have to go very easy on the vinegar in the dressing. I did not realise how sensitive little mouths are to sour things.

Yeah cables! I had the same thing going on here too, the best turned out to be Lindy from 3xProAudio Berlin (Winfried is just awesome)...

So here I had wrong bus on macpro+2 repeaters+crummy cable, aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. And clientsWaiting=true.

But looks good now, I'm in the studio and the sound is just beautiful...Alice's Restaurant ;)

Oh yeah chicken...sure it gets the kid's name :)

Funny is that when I was little, things couldn't be sour enough. I'd do things like drink vinegar from a spoon till my lips turned white...

but whatever you're built like, eh? Switzerland, with Kressi, actually has some of the best vinegar far and wide, it's just...hmmmm.

. . . . . . BangBang . . . . . !

My wife is Qualified Violin Teacher. She is currently learning to teach Suzuki method. Very cool and very interesting stuff both educationally and psychologically! Sasha(my 3 year old) is now (obviously!) learning suzuki violin, but his real passion seams to be more rhythm not melody! He just really likes hitting things in time. Pots and pans, Djembe, Cajon, whatever. He is not interested too much in twinkletwinkle(the suzuki mantra.) He seams to have a real aptitude for drums(oh NO!). He also loves cooking, so BAngBang Chicken (hammered perfectly in time to music!!) is about as good as it gets. BAng Bang Bang Bang! every beat EXACTLY in time . . . . I aM absolutely amazed. He still dances like a chicken, but he can keep steady beat ALREADY!

HA! ( shamelessly staggered dad!)

ANdyP

. . . . . . Bang Bang Bang Bang BANG chicken! . . . . . . . .

Ah that is soooo cool!

Now I get the bang bang part, hey that's like the best kitchen machine on planet Earth!

Give him a meat hammer and he'll do something Japanese you can origami later...

Btw now I'm just kinda recovering from what a trip that all was considering...crummy FW cable,
one of the halos where the DSP install got a little screwed up (probly a bad card from the factory),
Firewire repeater in the middle and 4 ports on the back of the MacPro and the best one is in front
where you'd never expect it.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh.

You know if you do homemade fries too you can make the classic veal Wiener Schnitzel and fries.

Just call it Bang bang schnitzel and he'll be all over it ;)

But hey I do know a song for my console digital setup now...

"they stabbed it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" ;)

Right.

Bang bang bang.

Back