MS, Pultec, 1/2-BA283 boards support thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

I did not completed my unit with Igor's psu as i always had noise, no matter with EQ in/MS/LR. Wiring done as pics from Igor units, all the way. And did this already last year and I've been a little lazy about finishing it but as i'm trying to finish a bunch of stuff going on, i grabbed a couple of weeks ago a SMPS and voilá, no more issues with electromagnetic fields or anything. All good.

So now i'm asking is what was my problem in the first place. Using power traffo and psu out of the box was no option, as this solution never satisfied me.

I'm still wainting to visit a great friend of mine for troubleshoot this but any insight would be helpfull.

Adriano

my unit works and sounds like pure golden caviar if that is possible..
but i also have too much noise  like dribro already told.
I have to run the unit very hot to have a good s/n Ratio, hard eq in m/s mode is not usefull with the added noise.
noise seems to be White noise all over the place but i did not measured it yet.
I never trusted Igors photos from the i/o cabeling, as on his photos xlr`s were grounded both (Input and Output).
but i do not know how he traced ground on the i/o boards so i did it like on the photos.
Will check when i have time because the Sound of this Thing is definetly not avaliable as plugin.
Really everything sounds bigger just without the eq. Bongos and Congas are almost exploding in that Thing !

Hi everone,
I'm highly interested in that project, but all links for ressources seem to be down (understandable after 6-10 years).
Does someone still have the documentations and is willing to share them?
Thanks in advance! ;-)

I'm pretty sure I have all the docs of Igor's past projects in my backup hardrive at home.
I'm on a Tour that will last for 1 week, but I can check when I go back home, send me a pm with your email and I will send to you what I have.

But the question is, do you have the pcb's?
don't know how easy will it be to get the pcb's at this point

Awesome! Thank you, Whoops! :-D
I will send you a pm in a moment.
Have a great tour!

Badly, I don't have PCBs, but I could do my own layout as long as I have the schematics.

Igor is not active here anymore, right?

Really Sad, he was really young also.
We lost contact with him some years before, because he left being around in the forum, but the time he was here was really productive and always bringing exciting projects

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone still have the documents to the build. None of the links in the thread are active anymore. I'm particularly interested in trying to figure out the output stage/makeup gain stage with the Carnhill transformer. Schematics, BOM or anything. Thanks for any help.

Friends any input from somebody who have completed the project will be greatly appreciated.So far I've managed to make it work with the exception of Mid/Side wiring.I am using Carnhill 9046 input transformers and trying to wire it while following this schematic:Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 1.06.36 PM.png The second channel have like 12dB less output and even when I compensate it still sounds somewhat strange(for sure not mid/side separated)... Otherwise in Stereo mode they have absolutely the same output level.If there is something specific(not written in the topic so far) or any suggestions will help me a lot for this amazing project.

Friends any input from somebody who have completed the project will be greatly appreciated.So far I've managed to make it work with the exception of Mid/Side wiring.I am using Carnhill 9046 input transformers and trying to wire it while following this schematic:View attachment 96400 The second channel have like 12dB less output and even when I compensate it still sounds somewhat strange(for sure not mid/side separated)... Otherwise in Stereo mode they have absolutely the same output level.If there is something specific(not written in the topic so far) or any suggestions will help me a lot for this amazing project.
Any luck with this? Also, any idea if there are PCBs anywhere for this... I'm just discovering and I want to build one lol. Tried to get the necessary files off of Archive.org but these weren't ever archived

Any luck with this? Also, any idea if there are PCBs anywhere for this... I'm just discovering and I want to build one lol. Tried to get the necessary files off of Archive.org but these weren't ever archived
I don't think there are boards available for this project.Regarding the Carnhill 9046 - my suggestion is that the ratio 1:1,5 is making this difference in signal level in m/s mode.I will try at some point with 1:1 transformer and compare the result .

I don't think there are boards available for this project.Regarding the Carnhill 9046 - my suggestion is that the ratio 1:1,5 is making this difference in signal level in m/s mode.I will try at some point with 1:1 transformer and compare the result .
Do you know if the schems listed above are a complete set of build documents? Thanks for getting back to me

Do you know if the schems listed above are a complete set of build documents? Thanks for getting back to me
To me they seem enough to build one.However I"ve used them only as an inspiration because I am using Gyraf pultec schematic for the filter section and I am cascading the Peq-1 after the Meq-5 and since the BA-284(the output schematic used here) seems not enough make-up gain for both boards with four inductors,I am adding the BA283 as well for more gain(If you used to build 1073 mic pre) you will know those preamp stages or check the schematic.Currently the input have the vtb9046 carnhill transformer.It is still on prototype stage but it works and sounds smooth as cream.

To me they seem enough to build one.However I"ve used them only as an inspiration because I am using Gyraf pultec schematic for the filter section and I am cascading the Peq-1 after the Meq-5 and since the BA-284(the output schematic used here) seems not enough make-up gain for both boards with four inductors,I am adding the BA283 as well for more gain(If you used to build 1073 mic pre) you will know those preamp stages or check the schematic.Currently the input have the vtb9046 carnhill transformer.It is still on prototype stage but it works and sounds smooth as cream.
Awesome, definitely interested in seeing your progress!

In my experience Igors documentation sometimes required a little bit of interpretation. The relay switch board for his TG limiter springs to mind. Lots of buzzing out with a meter to get it working. I think it's perhaps because English wasn't his first language.

Latest posts

Back