Muscle Shoals The Movie

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Difficult to tell from the trailer,but judging from the brief glimpse of the mixer, this seems to be mainly about the second incarnation.

Cheers

Ian

Didn't like it. I thought it lacked focus in favor of telling vaguely-related stories.

Also I'm not really into this hip new thing the kids are calling "nostalgia".

Worth watching if you have more than a passing interest, probably not worth it if you've heard the stories before...

when they first opened they had a radio desk from an old radio station. When Tom Dowd was there with Aretha Franklin, he modified the desk so it could do multitracking to his 4 track portable tape machine. When the session was over, he unmodified the console to go back to working as they had it, Mono.  8)

I saw this on CPTV  a few years ago and recently bought this DVD - I thought it was pretty good -
  - http://www.amazon.com/Respect-Yourself-Stax-Records-Story/dp/B000UD2K32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387598474&sr=8-2&keywords=respect+yourself

There's a clip in a Stones tour movie from the late 60s that shows the control room in which you can see a Bill Gates console and an 8 track Levers Rich tape recorder.

Cheers

Ian

while we are on these studio movies did anybody see The  Wrecking Crew?

i think it got pulled for legal hassles,

Standing In the Shadows was good, as well as the Tom Dowd movie,

> got pulled for legal hassles

Apparently not pulled, he needs $250K of license fees paid before it can be distributed. He seems to have done that via KickStarter recently.

Correct PRR. There was licensing money that needed to be paid in order to get a movie release. According to Deny Tedesco, the man behind it, it was a lot of money that they didn't have. They eventually decided on kickstarter as is the style these days.  I don't think the movie will ever be in cinemas and will be a DVD/online content movie.

CJ said:
Standing In the Shadows was good, as well as the Tom Dowd movie,

didnt see the "Standing In the Shadows"  but I have the Tom Dowd DVD , I found it fascinating - there was an actor playing him in the movie " Ray " and a mention and pictures of him in the " Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story " DVD

> I don't think the movie {Wrecking Crew} will ever be in cinemas

I can just see the locals here lined-up around the duo-plex to worship a bunch of jazz-hippie pop trackers from LA.

NOT.

The fact that it's "Grandpa's Music" almost does not matter. The standard muzak on the coast of Maine is 1970s Rock, mostly originals not covers. A little behind the WC's time but not much.

I can just see the locals here lined-up around the duo-plex to worship a bunch of jazz-hippie pop trackers from LA

I would like to see the Carol Kaye 'ghost-writer' issue re Motown session work explored.  That controversy still rages on and I suspect there is some residual guilt among hardcore Motown fans over some imagined slight to James Jamerson that drives some of it. 

pucho812 said:
Correct PRR. There was licensing money that needed to be paid in order to get a movie release. According to Deny Tedesco, the man behind it, it was a lot of money that they didn't have. They eventually decided on kickstarter as is the style these days.  I don't think the movie will ever be in cinemas and will be a DVD/online content movie.

I got an email from Denny claiming the Kickstarter campaign was successful, and that the movie is due for theatrical release sometime in June'14

Back