Musicland Helios Restoration Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before the modules can be put together backplates are needed. The backplates for my other modules don't match up for what is needed on the EQ modules, so features of each module needed to combined, and holes needed to be moved to compensate for how much stuff needs to fit in these.

This CAD was made over a year ago and was much based off of what could be seen on the Clapton modules. Lens distortion and angles prevents one from being able to just use the photo on it's own. Recently, I added the tabs that you see.

Attachments

• IMG_20201001_140425_961[1].jpg
    IMG_20201001_140425_961[1].jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Strat96,
How is your restoration project going?

Best Regards

Hey Whoops! Thanks for checking up on me, and sorry for not being as active on here.

I have a big problem that every time I hit a snag, I lose track. Haha! However, in many ways everything is coming to a point.

I purchased aluminum at the end of last year that needs to be machined. Cyril has made some more Lustraphones for me that are shipping soon (we have known each other for like 10 years at this point). Also I have purchased the supplies to make more of the original tagboards used in the console.

If this wasn't a historical restoration, I would have done something different for the tagboards, but because it is I put a lot of effort into getting the proper pins, the proper material, and drill configuration. The same is going to be done with the aluminum work that needs to be done.

There are still things that need figured out, like inductors. I have specs of what should be made to satisfy and compliment the original Helios design, but as far as where is the best place to get these made will be the next question. It is something that would be best prototyped to ensure things line up correctly before getting a few dozen or more wound.

However, with or without inductors I can still get my modules together. The high band imho is the most useful band. The low cut also is very useful. The Echo modules used those two EQ features exclusively.

And as I think about things more writing this, I realize some of the parts that I am a bit short on, like the 15C1 cards. I am always looking for original parts, as long as they are at a fair price. But it is getting to a point where if I don't find them, I will just have to make my own. I probably would choose the MMC card for the board and wire it as 15C1, since I am short a few MMCs too, but maybe I would do both. They are so similar in layout, just the MMC is flexible.

I am in a weird spot, at a point where I can start putting things together, but also where I am realizing some of the missing pieces in the project. Certainly feels like a so close, but so far situation. At this point it is balancing getting it done so people can make music with it, verses how original I can keep the console.

It has been a while without any updates. Over the years I collected many parts, whether they were original bits from Helios or the identical parts used in the modules. Sometimes it is just not worth it to spend a fortune because even though this is a restoration, it is better to put it in use than to stress over perfection. With that said, I have painstakenly recreated the subminiture tag boards used in the production of these modules. Even after designing the work, it took a few years to put this in motion. All of the parts were in hand by the end of last summer.

Cyril Jones helped to design a tool to make the pinning easier. Without him this job would have been so much more difficult. My children have been helping out by riviting the pins for me in their free time. They have worked for an hour at a time here and there, whenever they feel like making a little extra cash. We will be able to get started soldering the components in these soon enough.

Here are some photos of the boards in production. It is a labor of love, with many hands on the project, and countless hours of care.

20231007_133250.jpg20231007_133300.jpg20231024_132458.jpg

Latest posts

Back