MXL 603 -> KM84 Replacement PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of odd question: Can anybody recommend a good replacement for the Mogami wire in the 603/991 mic bodies? I've accidently burned a few of these and would like to replace. I've tried what seems a 24 G wire from a mic cable but these wires are very stiff and a bit hard to work into place.
Are you thinking about the PCB to XLR wires?

Hello @GraemeWoller, I am another with a low post count :(
I would like to purchase one of your boards and possibly another two in the future.
If you could please contact me when you have a chance.
Thanks
The solution to low post count is to go into the new member forum and just write a welcome message to a few people.

Last edited:
This is a great find. I too best get my ten posts in.
Long time lurking only it’s time to wake up and sniff the solder.
Well done that Kiwi Man. :)
Btw both the 603s and two Carillon Axis 1 ( same mic it appears) are prone to an annoying whine? Stock.
I was going to do a basic capacitor mod to try and get rid of that, and try a 3U capsule, then saw this excellence.
Very pleased. Cheers!

3U sells two different contact length sizes for the capsule: 3mm and 0.5mm. Which one fits these MXL donor bodies?

Last edited:
You are correct. You won’t be building something with the resale value or exact specifications of the km84.
Having performed this mod a few times, Im always happy to end up with a lovely sounding mic in the end, which gets more use than the stock 603s I keep around as a control group. That said, I think the real value in the part selection and building and trouble shooting, is in the learning experience more than the mic. I bet you can’t build just 1…

I don’t have the km48 to compare with, but took some rudimentary measurements last year, and will hopefully make more measurements soon with various small diaphragm capsules.
At the very least, you can see why I prefer the 3u transformer from these graphs.

The km84 capsule and circuit have been discussed here quite a bit, sometimes separately. This build is very DIY.

You are correct. You won’t be building something with the resale value or exact specifications of the km84.
Having performed this mod a few times, Im always happy to end up with a lovely sounding mic in the end, which gets more use than the stock 603s I keep around as a control group. That said, I think the real value in the part selection and building and trouble shooting, is in the learning experience more than the mic. I bet you can’t build just 1…

I don’t have the km48 to compare with, but took some rudimentary measurements last year, and will hopefully make more measurements soon with various small diaphragm capsules.
At the very least, you can see why I prefer the 3u transformer from these graphs.

The km84 capsule and circuit have been discussed here quite a bit, sometimes separately. This build is very DIY.
Thanks for the great info. I can see how this rabbit hole could quickly be similar to the one where I built five different vacuum tube amps from scratch (cabinet and all). Fortunately I've sold off at least one of those (since I don't need them all). But wow, it was very educational and fun! :)

Back