MXR Flanger clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should I try R7 500k trim pot and R8 50k trim pot and C3 to 1nf, and do some twiddling?

Or would I be better keeping the 2:1 ratio of R5 and R9 but lowering them?

Which is better to get to perceived unity gain?

I did not open the latest links, but you seem to be suggesting that the original design is questionable.

I actually designed a studio flanger back in the 70s (Loft), and did a kit BBD delay/flanger in 1976 for popular electronics.

Not rocket science but I don't feel like tweaking some one else's design.  I generally discourage that because in most cases you can't make it better... this seems like a possible exception.

I will point you in the right direct, especially about you complaint of too much bass.  Like i said before that circuit uses HF pre/de-emphasis, so HF are boosted in the first circuit block, then cut again in the later circuit block. The net effect of that is to reduce HF noise from the BBD path.  So I repeat, if you perceive too much bass, check that the pre-emphasis circuit is boosting the highs properly. HF de-emphasis without the complementary pre-emphasis could sound bassy.

JR

Ok great stuff, I will give it a go tomorrow, thanks again.
I will be building a Ada flanger as well as this seems a really useable version.
I have built the electric mistress which I was very disappointed with so will take apart and use the bits for the ada.

well i never, my mistake after all!!! C2 was 3.3nf rather than 33nf, pedal sounds great now, so this must have been why all the high frequency was being cut?

thanks ever so much for all your help by the way.

next stop ADA Flanger!!!

Back