My $5 DIY Tube Mic!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, These tubes are a Little bit rare so some sellers charge an arm and a leg for them, The person I got mine from (on e-bay) sold me mine for about $1.25 each pluss also thew in 5 extra tubes on a 10 tube order so I think I got a pretty good deal....

I was going to get mine from the place you ordered yours from but I was a little leary...

Cheers

[quote author="Gus"]this design?

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/tubemics.html[/quote]

Yes this is based on that design with a few value changes and a different transistor and biasing resistors......

Hi have tried the design and it is working
I believe the capsule sucks. I used a capsule from a PC mic i bought for 1,70€ so....
I made some voltage readings and the plate voltage is at 8 volts +-.
Isnt this really weak?
I believe its because of the voltage multipliers used to generate the phantom power voltage. Am i right?
Does this afect the circuit?
The caplsule voltage is at 12 volts.
Its a bit noisy but is acceptable.
The worst thng is the freaquency response of the capsule....its really bad. Theres a very strong ressonance at about 240 hz.
I havent used the 10uf decoupling caps....instead i used 2uf Milar caps and i still hear a lot of low frequency rumble. So i belive a 0.47 to 1 uf cap would be ideal. For this capsule at least.
Is there any good electret capsule? or has every one gone to cost effective non-musical designs?

Well try adjusting the resistor Values so you can get as much voltage to the Plate(Up to 30V), and adjust the Values to you get a lower Voltage at the Capsule.... This should hopefully Improve the performance some....

Cheers

Acctually even though the voltages are a bit weird the mic is sounding good.
I was recording a synthesized (in my korg ms2000) kind of organ sound through the computer speakers and .... WOW .... It became a real Hammond instantly because of all the dirt the mic added to the sound.
So ... overall this mic is going to get some use.
Not as a direct recording mic but just to add some spice to some stuff. I think ill make another for stereo pickup.
Thanks for the schem ;)

[quote author="Minion"]Well try adjusting the resistor Values so you can get as much voltage to the Plate(Up to 30V), and adjust the Values to you get a lower Voltage at the Capsule.... This should hopefully Improve the performance some....

Cheers[/quote]

adjust the 47k resistor to maxmize plate voltage? what about reducing capsule voltage? which resistors are going to take care of this? the 4K2's?

Well i think the problem is the heater current. If you stop using he phantom power to feed the heater you might have good voltages on the plate and on the capsule. I will substitute the heater supply by a battery and post the results after that......i really think this is the way to go.
The first time i tryed the mic ....the time when i made those readings.....was on a cheap behringer a100 preamp (i think this is the name). Then i tryed it on a mackie mixer and the mic had so much amplification that i couldnt heaven preamplify it nothing and even then it was not suitable to speach......it clipped the mixer right away........you could only put it on the room and record that. So i conclude that the phantom power from the mackie has the ability to handle a lot more current than the cheap behringer one (that was made to send power to only one mic) and the voltage doesnt drop so easy.
So.......tacking the heater load to a baterry might make the mic suitable to every preamp. And make it easy to play with the resistors to get the plate voltage you whant without major voltage drops on the phantom power.

Has anyone tried this with slightly better mics like the mxl 603 or the
apex 180 series ? [ i had done a royer on one before and am planning a pair , but man when you're in a hurry all these psus and extra cable
makes a mess ! ]

Thanks btw Minion , if i can save building a power supply , you've made
my day

regards Greg

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=17680&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

[quote author="buschfsu"][quote author="Minion"]Well try adjusting the resistor Values so you can get as much voltage to the Plate(Up to 30V), and adjust the Values to you get a lower Voltage at the Capsule.... This should hopefully Improve the performance some....

Cheers[/quote]

adjust the 47k resistor to maxmize plate voltage? what about reducing capsule voltage? which resistors are going to take care of this? the 4K2's?[/quote]

Hey guys. I few comments here. This schematic was from my prototype, but the production versions are different. Create a separate plate supply from pin 2 and pin 3 with two 100K resistors. That will get you to 17V plate, which is plenty. Plate voltage is not the limitation here--if you look at the tube datasheet, 15V is actually in a sweet spot of low distortion--and low gain, but none is needed here. Also, if you increase the plate resistor value, it changes the gain of the circuit, but the voltage at pin 1 of the tube drives the filament current, so you can't move too far outside these values or the circuit falls apart.

Change the filament resistor (100R) to a 200R trimpot, and the circuit will be much more successful. Otherwise it can be hit or miss with the combination of tube, capsule, and transistor variation. Generally, set tube pin 3 voltage = pin 4, but play around, you get some interesting results on either side.

It doesn't matter too much what capsule you use. It so happens that the FET electret capsules spit out just about the right voltage if you hit them with 12V or so. I have tried many, and all of them work, if you set their operating points by changing their drain resistor, or the trimpot setting. Shoot for around 2V at tube pin 4.

[quote author="smallbutfine"]Are there european tube types that can be cross referenced to 6814 ?
[/quote]

Hey Martin,

Ask this guy, Roy. He has 15 to sell and sells them for about $10 for 5. Shipping is only $9.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/the-radio-tube-supply-company

Roddy

Same question here!  Does anyone has this schematic ?  Thanx from Holland

Latest posts

Back