Original DIY Tube Mic for Voiceover

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming we only need cardio, I would not spend 1000$ on a TLM103 for just voiceover... To stay with static mics, I would get (and do the tiny capacitor mod) a P220 AKG or an AT4033 or a senn. MK4, all these for less than 400$ brand new from the shop... (and spend the rest for a good compressor or a mixing channel)

And to stay in that budget, for dynamics, there's plenty of good mics which don't need any mod...

I would consider adapting the EF-U47 project to a more budget friendly version. Or even adapting it to the 6S6B or 5840. Simple circuit, and an Arienne Flat K47 could be great. I'm no voiceover expert though.

I've also wondered about the RF Condenser project from @rogs as a voiceover mic.

ADR stands for Additional Dialogue Recording. It’s recording voice to screen for film/TV, trying to match with the originally recorded audio, which needs to be replaced (usually because it was too noisy on set).

I asked, because usually one would try to use the same mics as on set, wherever possible. A lot of Voiceover studios do that kind of thing too, and then having mics like an MKH-416 or MKH-50 are reasonably normal in addition to a U87
ADR stands for Automated Dialogue Replacement.

I do a lot of voiceover work. My opinion, don't complicate things more than they are. My best VO mics are a pair of 87A clones I made from the Mihi-fuchs' pcb's, and Roger's opic, both with Ari's capsules, obvious one with the 87, and flat 47 with Roger's. Bright mic and more neutral/dark mic, so plenty of ground covered to suit different voices. If you don't need MP capability, the ORS project available here can be another option in the 87 vein.... No tubes, or fancy PSU's. Low noise, good sensitivity, clean and smooth and ready to go. I've also done lots of VO work with simpler OPA alice circuit and the usual electret capsule mentioned here, korg's suggestion and the TSB one. These are a little brighter, and thinner in low end, but still good for VO work..
Honestly, tube mics, wich I've also built plenty from the projects that are available in the diy community, altough nice mics on their own, are really overrated for this application and many others, but that is just my personal opinion of course....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back