My 670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

So I shared my 670 beasty crushing and misbehaving on another forum for those of them who have never heard a 670 style thing really squeezing a neck, I mean audio. 30 tubes at your service, custom transformers wound by yours truly. Only one in the world and she is over 16yrs old never had a hiccup! I get annoyed at the point and click experts who can tell which plugin sounds more like a real vari mu. Some vari mu don't even sound good to me. But that's just me, lol.

Attachments

• Skengk1.mp3
    4 MB
I would also like to demonstrate my Poor Man's 660 and finally the original AOC. I think my devices can speak much more eloquently than I can!

So I shared my 670 beasty crushing and misbehaving on another forum for those of them who have never heard a 670 style thing really squeezing a neck, I mean audio. 30 tubes at your service, custom transformers wound by yours truly. Only one in the world and she is over 16yrs old never had a hiccup! I get annoyed at the point and click experts who can tell which plugin sounds more like a real vari mu. Some vari mu don't even sound good to me. But that's just me, lol.
It's late so I'm just listening on laptop speakers, but the way this grabs and holds on is unreal.

The way the track is leveled but the keys track jumps out on the skank—and the kick pops out—isn't like anything I've heard on any 670 plugin. I own a handful of Vari-mus, but they don't touch this.

I don't know how you wired your attack and release, but how close is this to setting 3 on the original 670?

Thanks for sharing!

I would have to look at the schematic again and compare the two. It shouldn't be too far off. I think the gain reduction amp in this is a bit more powerful than the Fairchild. I'm using a pair of fixed biased 6L6 per channel driving down 10 remote cutoff tubes per channel, because of this I was able to play with the time constant a bit.

Hi analag! I’ve listened to your mp3 the attack reminds me a lot mine 660 that I’ve build! I’m very glad to have a sort of feedback listening to yours.

The attacks are stepped and the release is continuously variable.

Last edited:
I know you’ve rolled your own trafos, do you think that make difference if the secondary of the sc out trafo is a multitapped one vs a tertiary for the the feedback?

I know you’ve rolled your own trafos, do you think that make difference if the secondary of the sc out trafo is a multitapped one vs a tertiary for the the feedback?
It all depends on how you did it. I kept it closer to the original.

Would like to do a comparison with a drum loop? Maybe ask to other people that build it, if they’d like to join. So we could appreciate the differences or similarities.

Not sure if that would work. How would we know if we had the same settings. Are we even using the same tubes.

Back