My custom 80/20 workstation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiegdk

Last year I designed and assembled a desk/workstation using 80/20. I designed in in Fusion 360 and had a local 80/20 supplier do all the cutting (they also supplied all the parts).

I've never done anything like this before but I'm quite happy with the results. Figured I'd share in case anyone is thinking about doing something similar.

Pros: fun, solid, useful, customizable, expandable.
Cons: stupidly expensive - like the only reason to do it is if, like me, you get obsessed with the idea and can't be stopped.

Here's a link to some quick documentation of the project I threw together: Desk Project

DeskPhoto2.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great. It's stupidly expensive but everything can be reused. If you did it out of wood and you wanted something else you would probably just end up throwing it away.

This week I made a table from material that had been used to construct a tent platform in the Adirondacks. No longer needed I broke it down and brought some of it to the studio. It was outside in the elements for six years. It cleaned up without too much effort. It cost me very little to make. I just had to get some fasteners and brackets.

Attachments

• 0AF385CC-84BB-426B-A925-CF2550C8248D.jpeg
    0AF385CC-84BB-426B-A925-CF2550C8248D.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 50543F0A-A2B6-433E-A91D-1143157C4B1C.jpeg
    50543F0A-A2B6-433E-A91D-1143157C4B1C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
A good way to organize test cables or generally hang things up is with 4”-6” hex bolts screwed into a roll in nut. Then secured with a fender washer and hex nut.

You have a nice peg board tool holder. I just hang my tools over bolts.

Last edited:
That looks amazing.
I love it. I made a new bench in the last year but used different materials, wood and iron piping. Can’t say it was any less expensive but it did make it easy as iron piping is set lengths with flanges unless you need custom height stuff.

Some of the hidden benefits of 80/20 are that if you order it precut the only thing needed for assembly is a hex key. There is no mess and no noise assembling it. I've never had sharp edges at the cut when 80/20 does the cutting. I have two cut off saws (minimum 1HP) that can handle the 15 series and the 10 series. I do file the ends when I cut them myself. Scotchbrite is usually enough but sometimes a metal file is needed if the cut didn't go well.

It's very light compared to wood so moving it isn't a problem. You don't need to finish the piece since the finish on the 80/20 is quite nice. It looks sandblasted to me but I don't know for sure. There are many ease of use and time saving features that mitigate the expense. I think it looks great. It also takes up much less visual space than an equivalent wood structure would.

Last year I designed and assembled a desk/workstation using 80/20. I designed in in Fusion 360 and had a local 80/20 supplier do all the cutting (they also supplied all the parts).

I've never done anything like this before but I'm quite happy with the results. Figured I'd share in case anyone is thinking about doing something similar.

Pros: fun, solid, useful, customizable, expandable.
Cons: stupidly expensive - like the only reason to do it is if, like me, you get obsessed with the idea and can't be stopped.

Here's a link to some quick documentation of the project I threw together: Desk Project

View attachment 108946
The workbench is gorgeous but so is the tile.

Back