My G7 lacks higher freq.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMB

Hi! I finished my first diy some months ago and was happy just to hear my G7 working, sounding really nice and musical. Its got a strong bass, which i liked from the beginning (and still like), but I now think it lacks higher freq, which makes it sound a little dull. A friend of mine who also has built a g7 said that his had much more higher freq. (We couldn´t compare side by side because his was broken.) I have read the metas and only found problems regarding lack of bass. Which of these suggested problems, if any, do you think is the most probable reason for the lack of HF, or do you think it is something else? (I´m using Gustavs boards and akg ck12 capsule.)

1. The tube (using an NOS telefunken ef86, and I got no more ef86 to compare with). But from what I understand it is usually the bass that dissapears when a tube is bad. Or?

2. I used a Black gate bi-polar Nx-series 680/35v electrolytic cap instead of a 100u/35 v, first without the parallell 1u cap, and then I put in a 1u polypropylene cap, but high end still lacking. This is of course something I could test myself by putting in a 100u/1u, but I thought I could ask first if this could matter at all since I had a REALLY hard time to make those big caps fit.

3. The power outlet here in sweden has 230v but i used a 220:9v transformer into a 230:15v transformer, instead of what I guess should have been 230:9 into 220:15. I have with no mic connected 180v for the HT, which I guess is a little high(?).

Thank you for any help in pointing me in the right direction where to start. While I wait for your answers i go back to my first full range speaker diy! :cool:

//Martin

3. measure supply voltage with mic connected - that's the only figure that makes sense.

There are not really any frequency-deviating components in G7, which leads me to believe that your capsule may be dull in itself? Have you tried reversing it?

Jakob E.

Thank you Jakob for your quick answer! No, I haven´t tried the other side of the capsule but I will do that first before I do anything else. And I will measure the voltages with the mic connected and post here if it still lacks hf. Maybe I should mention that when me and my friend recorded a continous signal and compared it to his mic (not a tube mic) the recorded signal was a straight line for his mic, while my G7 was a little bit like a sinus wave, not much but still... Some kind of offset maybe, but sinus wave implies AC right? Could this be a problem?

//Martin

I have now switched side of the capsule and it was an improvment, sounds so nice, so thank you for that Jakob! :thumb: Now i´m closer to the soundclips i have heard here on prodigy. I measured the voltages at the psu xlr and got with the mic connected:

pin 1-2 166v
pin 1-5 78.8v
pin 1-6 5.888v

Is 5.888 v for the heater to low? How is the best (easiest :oops: ) way to raise the heater voltage?

//Martin

[quote author="CMB"]

Is 5.888 v for the heater to low? How is the best (easiest :oops: ) way to raise the heater voltage?[/quote]

That's probably just fine, if you're not getting excessive popcorn- or static noise from it.

To change heater voltage, the two resistors around the power regulator ic LM317 are changed. Or swapped for a trimmer potentiometer.

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back