My GSSL - finally finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farnell is right.

OrderNr. 969746 (old, non RoHS, in stock)
OrderNr. 1262061 (new, RoHS, no stock)

both are EUR 45,70.

don't forget the style B 19W bezel ...

Damn thats some fine SSL stuff, and so it got me thinking...

Soooo many people have made these. So, Id like to see some discussion as to how these compare to various plug ins. Have you compared? What do you think? Im just curious...

A friend and I compared his GSSL to the Waves SSL bus compressor plugin. We ran a whole mix and drums through with identical settings and tried to match the gain reduction by ear in addition to the meters. We both thought the plugin and the GSSL sounded virtually identical at low amounts of gain reduction. Things got more interesting when we really started slamming the material with lots of gain reduction. At extreme settings the hardware held the mix together better.

To be honest if you are building the GSSL with average components and nothing fancy like output transformers or the sidechain filter and you plan to only use it for light compression then you are probably better off just using the plugin. However, if you plan to really customize the unit or add some unique features like transformers, or if you work in an analog environment, then the GSSL is a great project.

I just finished ordering all the parts for my GSSL and am going to install Burr Brown opamps and Black Gate caps in the signal path along with some Cinemag CMOQ-2L output transformers. It should sound pretty darn sweet.

Brad

I ve just finished a Gssl with a "clintrubber" 12 positions filter.
(simple hi pass filters + api 2500 filter)
as calibration of the 2 trimpots for loud and medium position were not described (except for threshold variation)and they are frequency dependant here a simple way to have them working "properly" as in the "original" api design.

First: threshold max(+15) output 0.
compressor ON

Simple hight pass filter (stephen/greg).
as designed it couldn t be adjust as unity gain.
so if you want unity gain change 10K trimpot for higher value or the 1K resistor to a 2K or 2K7.
apply a 0db signal 1Kz measured at the L R greg pcb inputs.
adjust the trim so you have 0db at the filter pcb output.

API LOUD .
as designed by clintrubber.
put your lorlin or so pot rotactor on the Loud position.
apply 0db 20kz signal measured at the L R pcb inputs.
adjust trimpot R7 untill you have +15db approx at the output
(I mean output= return to the main ssl PCB.the two 47K)
now apply 0db 20hz signal measured at the L R filter pcb inputs.
control that you have -15db approx at the output.

API MEDIUM
Put your lorlin or so pot rotactor on the Medium position.
apply 0db 1Kz signal measured at the L R filter pcb inputs.
adjust the trimpot R4 so you have 0 db at the output.
then control that output db should deacrease from 200hz
to 20hz (for 20hz you should have -15db)
then control for 10kz to 20kz. output db should increase up to
+15db (for 20kz)

hope it can help
audioforge

Hi Audioforge,

Cool you added that :thumb:

For some reason I'm not getting all notifications when new posts are added (can't have it all, forum-functioning as is is already more than nice) so I caught your calibration-text only after your reference to this thread.

Bye,

Peter

Hello,

Kind but serious request.

Please note I've pulled the schematic in which I gave an emulation-circuit of the two Thrust-modes.

As I consequence I ask you to remove/take back/change any copies of
the circuit-diagram that you might know about and have made available on-line. This holds as well for documentation with an added PCB-layout: please remove the schematic.

No further distribution either please; this circuit cannot longer be made available online.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hello,

I'm making the B.O.M for the SuperSC and I was wondering if I can use carbon film resistor instead of metal film ones ?

Thank you,

eD

audioforge said:
I ve just finished a Gssl with a "clintrubber"  12 positions filter.
(simple hi pass filters + api 2500 filter)
as calibration of the 2 trimpots for loud and medium position were not described (except for threshold variation)and they are frequency dependant here a simple way to have them working "properly" as in the "original" api design.

First: threshold max(+15) output 0.
compressor ON

Simple hight pass filter (stephen/greg).
as designed it couldn t be adjust as unity gain.
so if you want unity gain change 10K trimpot for higher value or the 1K resistor to a 2K or 2K7.
apply a 0db signal 1Kz measured at the L R greg pcb inputs.
adjust the trim so you have 0db at the filter pcb output.

hope it can help
audioforge

this didnt work for me instead i changed the resistors from the mainboard back from 27k to 15k...

Back