My GSSL - finally finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threshold fully CCW = 139.4 mV
Threshold 12 o'clock = 40 mV
Threshold fully CW = 0.4 mV

Yap, this is what I got from my volt meter. Just to check it out - I have choosen the V- and not the V~ on my meter when measuring. Was it correct?

Regarding the 330R you mentioned, I need more precise information which one to change and for what value? I didn't found any 330R resistor near the 2K or anywhere else on board. Sorry to be such a pain in the *** but you have to give me more specific instructions otherwise I might invent a new mod again :green:

OK, I will try to increase the sum resistors tonight. So far I am using the 220K.

You say that I should see the 120mV or something very close when my threshold pot is fully CCW <---- ? What about when I turn the knob to the other direction, isn't my value way off this moment?

Thank you for your help. If you have some suggestions regarding my meter, don hesitate to chime in :thumb:

Better to ask.... you mean like this?

Meter.jpg

Hold out your hand so I can slap it !!! :green:

First, the + and - refer to the contacts on the meter, not the PCB or perfboard. Anyway, you don't need a PCB for this. Just mount the resistor directly to the meter. I used 100uA meters in my GSSLs as well. You don't need a PCB for everything :wink: .

One more thing which I am curious about :grin: is there any special value in those super fast attacks. I thought 10mS is fast enough when compressing the whole mix.

No one has the answer to my question above? :roll:

I didn't understand your question then and I don't understand it now. Are you asking what are the attack times? Is so, they're 0.1, 0.3, 1, 3, 10, and 30. But I don't know what you mean by special value.

Let me try to rephrase it . Isn't the 10mS already a super fast setting for compressing a stereo mix? I can't see any special usefulness of the ultra fast settings like .1 or .3 on a stereo material or am I wrong?

So one more time, is there any special purpose in those super fast attacks that I don't know about?

I hope it's more clear now :roll:

I see, and I'd say nope, no special reason. Some people like fast attack and some like slow. With the GSSL, I'm usually at 10ms or 30ms, but occasionally I'll increase attack time. Just depends, ya know.

Tested yesterday my finished Stephen - Thrusty overkill HP filter based on Clintrubber's schematics http://home.hetnet.nl/~chickennerdpig/FILES/API/API-Thrust-HPF-circuit_20060310.pdf

I used 1x12 rotary for 8 steps SC Filter. Measured only from 20Hz up to 250Hz. You can see the GR curve bellow.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR BETTER VIEW :shock:

HP-filter.jpg

Many thanks to Greg for Stephen's HP PCBs and Peter Clintrubber for expanded schematics :thumb:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]
I have also changed the 50k threshold pot to a 25k one, connected with a 24k9 resistor to the negative voltage. Better threshold range with this for me.[/quote]

Just curious. Can you explain what does it mean better threshold range?

Tomorrow I will do some measuring at work, in the evening we will have some listening tests with a gold / platinum records owner mastering engineer.

What was his opinion at the end about your G-SSL?[/quote]

[quote author="Purusha"]Just curious. Can you explain what does it mean better threshold range?[/quote]
before this mod the GSSL threshold started somewhere around -16 dBu, but I never have such low levels while mixing.

What was his opinion at the end about your G-SSL?
His opinion is that he doesn't want to give it back to me.

What was his opinion at the end about your G-SSL?
His opinion is that he doesn't want to give it back to me.[/quote]

Thats great. But can you be a bit more specific as to what he liked/disliked about the GSSL? thanks .

[quote author="Purusha"]Let me try to rephrase it . Isn't the 10mS already a super fast setting for compressing a stereo mix? I can't see any special usefulness of the ultra fast settings like .1 or .3 on a stereo material or am I wrong?

So one more time, is there any special purpose in those super fast attacks that I don't know about?

I hope it's more clear now :roll:[/quote]

I use the .1 attack all the time on a parallel drum buss so there's NO attack... just an effect, then blend that back in with the regular drums that are going directly to the master. My drum reverb Also goes to the compressed buss & master at the same time. Sometimes I just do kick & snare to the compressed buss... maybe add in the bass or all the rythm instruments. It all depends what makes the mix come alive. I find the fast attack & release compressed buss adds a lot of air & life to the drums... Blend to taste, there's NO one answer with a tool like this.

So to answer your question, YES, they are usefull. It's not a famous design for nothing :wink:

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. It does make sense, I just didn't know how. My Drawmer 1968ME has the fastest attack 10ms if I remember and it's also meant to be a drum/mix buss compressor.

Man, I can't wait to finish all my G-SSLs to start using them in the mix.

I believe it is difficult to compare attack times of dynamic processors when you are not taking into account the level detection in the sidechain (rms vs. peak).

Latest posts

Back