Mystery Quad Eight rack unit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtkid11

Hi guys, I just acquired some really cool old Quad Eight gear from a production studio that is remodeling, and part of the gear I got are these two rack modules that are unlabeled and I’m not sure what they are exactly- so I’m hoping someone here can shed some light on it!

There are two racked CL-22 stereo-linked compressors (two per RU for a total of 4) and sharing their 28V power supply were these other two mystery units, also doubled up so there are four total. Looking at the CL-22 schematic and pin out, it had me thinking these are the optional D-S units (which I can’t find any photos of) except that they aren’t linked by the external D-S pin on the CL-22 output. It’s possible that they wired it so that the audio out of the CL-22 went in to the input of this, but the audio ins and outs were cut so I don’t know. As far as I can tell this mystery unit is sharing a power supply with the CL-22 but nothing else.

It is definitely a Quad Eight product as the PCB is stamped with their logo, and I believe this whole studio was setup and installed by Quad Eight techs back in ‘79. It’s kinda weird that the PCB’s are not enclosed in a box or anything, they are just attached to the 19” faceplate and stuck in the rack, but maybe it didn’t matter and was a faster install this way or a custom build.

Just looking to see if anyone here knows what these are, as I’m curious to try them out but don’t want to mess anything up or wire it wrong since it’s probably a nice piece of vintage Quad Eight. Appreciate any help or info!!

I’ve attached photos of the units for you guys to peruse. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7029.jpeg
    IMG_7029.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7027.jpeg
    IMG_7027.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7028.jpeg
    IMG_7028.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm guessing they are gates/ducking units , here are pictures of the CL22 with DS

Attachments

• IMG_8862.jpg
    IMG_8862.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8863.jpg
    IMG_8863.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Gotcha, yeah that is a good possibility and would make sense. Thanks for the picture with the DS unit- definitely looks different than that, so I think it must be something else entirely. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back