Nagative DC and Relay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guavatone

Can I use the Negative voltage supply of -24v to triger a delay by reversing 0v and -24v?

Thanks in advance.

yes, in fact, many relays have a built in bridge so butt cleavage electricians can even handle it.

give em a Fluke and a tool belt and....... insta macho man!

Or matza man.

We do not discriminate.

CJ you are nvts in a good way.....of course. ...er ....a ...bridge? I take it thats a yes on fooling the relay and the mooning electricians as well.

What are you calling the bridge? the Diode? the Relay? I am a bit novice...

BTW i am using this setup.

underthotrelay.gif

Thanks, I had no idea they fit a bridge rect. in there. Sorry I didn't realize your abreviation. Funny how the bridge is not in the product diagram.

A standard DC relay does not care which way the polarity is.

I've never seen one with a Bridge rectifier either.

Some DC relays have a (single) built-in diode to suppress kick-back at turn-off. If so, they better have "+" and "-" marks on the coil, just match the polarity.

Some relays with + and minus terminals (like the Aromat TQ2) do not have internal diodes, but still require you use proper polarity. This is because of a small "helper" magnet inside the relay that allows the relay to be build with a smaller coil. With these relays, you still need to install an external suppression diode.

Latest posts

Back