Need a new PC laptop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

So I've gone through 3 laptops now that I've had to return for various reasons, touchpad,  screen,  sound,  etc.

So looking for recommendations,  nothing too fancy,  just 15.6" or bigger,  windows,  reasonably light with good battery life, where everything actually works and hopefully under $1k. Something for electronics design and audio editing on the go.

I recently got a (refurbed second-hand) HP EliteBook Revolve 810 - and I absolutely love it.

Yes, I'm not good at taking care of hardware, so Gorilla-III glass and MIL-STD 810G certification counts big-time for me.

Jakob E.

Nothing beats Lenovo laptops. I've got no experience on the consumer models, but business models are very very durable and the keyboard is fastest and has  the best response that I know of. I've had Lenovo T and X models for the past 10 years in daily use (I do programming as living). Only problem I've had is one dead battery.

They are a bit expensive compared to others, but as always you get what you pay for :) I think they release new models soon if not already released in past few weeks.

What ever you buy, be sure it has enough USB ports and SSHD :)

ps. actually the model I'm typing on is Lenovo W520 from 2013, this one has lasted without single failure. My x220 had the battery killed (suddenly), thats from 2012 if I remember and I'm using it as my remote recording machine. Still more than fast enough with SSD.

I really liked my sony vaio but not made anymore.  I did try a lenovo,  trackpad didn't work right off the bat, plus the spyware thing also makes me think twice.  Tied Dell and Asus with different issues.  Bad experience with HP in the past.

This is why I DIY things  :)

Upping the budget and getting into business and workstation class probably the way to go,  though portability more important than performance for me.

Hmm, I've never noticed the Lenovo bloatware problem before (google Lenovo VisualDiscovery).
It seems thats been with consumer models, but still a bit suspicious activity to include such software.

Nevertheless, the new models have physical cover for webcam etc. measures for improved security for business use.
I think one could trust these Lenovo business models. If not, no computer is trustworthy :)

currently rolling with a Dell M4700 Workstation laptop.
Built like a tank, easy to add hard drives, memory etc.

Not easily portable, but has done over 100K Miles with me around the world without breaking.

The M4700 is showing it's age in terms of processing, but I'd replace it with a newer model in a heartbeat if the quality was maintained.

Back