Neumann M49 Clone : D-M49c and D-M49b Tube Microphone Build Thread. (+Sample)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried different values here and care to comment?

10uF vs 22uF vs 47uF with the 5840 tube.

Thanks
It is a matter of taste. In my experience, 5840 tubes are not the least "microphonic" tubes on the market, and so depending on the 5840 tube used, I prefer a nice 22 µF or 33 µF tantalum capacitor to suppress the LF rumble a little bit more. It is a bit of finding the balance. Just try different values, you can't break anything and it only costs a few bucks. The experience and the feeling for it is worth its weight in gold. Believe me.

Last edited:
What are the transformer pads 1-4 on the PCB? I just purchased the beesneez BV11 to replace my cinemag and I'm looking for which numbers correlate to + & - and which leads are which.

Hey guys, I'm not sure where to ask this, but I'll try here.
I'm trying to build the m49 by Poctop schematics and there are some things I’m not sure of.
I have a Flea body, Beezneez capsule, 5840 tube, and moby transformer B.v 11 10:1. I want to build the m49b version, as most people suggest it sounds better for vocals. I’m not sure what we should do to make the m49b schematics compatible with the 5840 tube (I’ve seen Oliver’s schematic but I figured it has the m49c bias?). Also, when I go to the BOM link there several things missing and I’m not sure what to do with that. If you guys can guide me a little bit with this it could be so awesome! Thanks!
😎

You should be able to follow the schematic in post #1. There is info somewhere in this thread on what to do with the 5840 screens. Bias it by replacing R7 with a pot (2M?). Bias it to roughly 0.73mA plate current, then adjust +/- to where you want it.

It's important you use the optional power supply choke and have clean grounding.

For parts that are out of stock or obsolete, you will have to find substitutes. If it's your first time finding replacement parts on Mouser, it can be tricky to get used to, but their part filters are quite good.

You should be able to follow the schematic in post #1. There is info somewhere in this thread on what to do with the 5840 screens. Bias it by replacing R7 with a pot (2M?). Bias it to roughly 0.73mA plate current, then adjust +/- to where you want it.

It's important you use the optional power supply choke and have clean grounding.

For parts that are out of stock or obsolete, you will have to find substitutes. If it's your first time finding replacement parts on Mouser, it can be tricky to get used to, but their part filters are quite good.
Thank you! So, on the schematic of the 49b I can see that they already changed R7 with a pot (it's different to the neumann schematic) so I'm not sure if it's already compatible with 5840 tube.
About the power supply, is that option in the schematic of the PSU?
Thank you so much

Back