new forum look?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: What a change !!!  :eek:
I liked the austerity of the old forum...
I was quite disappointed the first two minutes and now I just think it's cool,nice and fonctionnal. 8)

I understand now that Ethan had other things to do than solving my log in problems !!!

!!!NICE WORK !!!

gltech said:
Looks great, but I'm experiencing unbearable slow response, around 20+ secs per page load. Is this to be expected from now on?

Ditto.  Both on my desktop machine as well as my iPhone. There is about a 12 second delay between the time I click on a link and it actually loading.

Edit:  Also the avatar uploader doesn't seem to be working so I'm going to Brad Pitt for a while.

I was taken aback at first, but it seems a bit smoother.  I really like the messages page that shows the actual PM content.

As a test, I searched Sulzer, but got zero results.  When I searched Sulzer last week I got a few posts.  Maybe some items didn't transfer?

Thanks for your work Ethan!
8)

Ethan,

Thanks for the hard work.

I was wondering whether it is possible to add tabs for the 4 forums.  One thing I liked about the old forum was that drop down menu to switch between forums, whereas here you seem to have to go back to the home page.  I know I'm lazy !!!  It was just a thought !

Rob Flinn said:
Ethan,
I was wondering whether it is possible to add tabs for the 4 forums.

Try the bottom right corner ;)

I'm not ignoring anyone, just been a little busy today.  I will try to attend to everything as soon as possible.

Nice! 

OK, I liked the old look too, but whatever it takes to keep the content and discussions online is just dandy.

(but where did the beer emoticons go?)

zebra50 said:
When I wave my mouse over the email button, it shows the email address - so are we more exposed to spammers thatn previously?

This should no longer be the case.
"Guest" Visitors will not be able to view member information.

> I'd prefer to keep my email private ...

Me too.

Profile, Account Related Settings....

"Hide email address from public?" YES (checked)

"Change profile" (need password)

2d7tqis.gif

PRR said:
> I'd prefer to keep my email private ...

Me too.

Profile, Account Related Settings....

"Hide email address from public?" YES (checked)

"Change profile" (need password)

http://i33.tinypic.com/2d7tqis.gif

I made that 'hide'-setting already but my email-icon & -info is still there.
I just dis- & enabled it, logged out & in again, but same result...

I'd want to keep my email-address private as well.

Regards,

Peter

I can't see your email Peter, but I can still see mine (the first thing I did was to look at my profile, before posting here), so I reckon it's a quirk of the software that enables you to email yourself whilst logged in. Not sure why you'd want to email yourself, but anyway...

I quite like the software, quirks and all. What would be really nice would be an attachment function... That way, old threads stay intact with pictures - and lazy gits like me don't have to learn how to use external web space.

This software logs the seconds of your post - anally retentive or what! I also get the 'report this post to a moderator' button on my own posts, so I can report myself if I breach forum etiquette.

Justin

I run a SMF based forum and I've had people freaking out about the eMail thang.  You can always see your own eMail address even if you've selected "hide my eMail address".  I guess there's no reason to hide it from yourself and there have been times where I've eMailed myself threads -n- links -n- stuff for later reference.

SMF is a much more stable script than phpBB.  I seriously doubt we'll ever see those debug errors ever again.

The only issue I'm having is the inability to add an avatar.  I think you can easily fix this issue in the admin control panel:

Admin / Forum / Attachments and Avatars / Avatar settings / External Avatars
the last line should be "let HTML resize it"
I've had trouble with java & the GD module.

Admin / Forum / Attachments and Avatars / Avatar settings / Uploadable Avatars
Check "use PNG to resize avatars"
Again this requires the GD module and honestly it's over my head.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help and will give it my best shot.

-Richard

Edit:
I was able to upload a new avatar but I had to resize it to 65 locally before uploading.
I still could not link it to an external site even after resizing it.

thermionic said:
I can't see your email Peter, but I can still see mine (the first thing I did was to look at my profile, before posting here), so I reckon it's a quirk of the software that enables you to email yourself whilst logged in. Not sure why you'd want to email yourself, but anyway...

Hi Justin,

Email-icon gone now, so it seems all solved or there wasn't even an issue.  ;)
Earlier today it was still visible after logging out, but coming back now ('fresh visit') it's not there to begin with.

All fine!

bye,

Peter   

> my email-icon & -info is still there.

I can't see yours. Even with my moderator-hat on.

I "hid" mine, I still see it.

What Justin and Richard say. You can hide from others, you can't hide from yourself. (I agree this is confusing-- you have to ask others if your email is really hidden, and we could all be lying to you. But when have we ever all agreed on anything?)

I have checked as "guest" and see no email addresses. (Some doubt about that the first day.)

Back