New to inductors (well kinda)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capacitor

I acquired a bunch of parts from a cool dude who was moving. He's long gone and I don't have a way to contact him now, so I need a little help.

There were a couple of baggies with what are most likely to be inductors. I'm familiar with tube power supply inductors/chokes, but new when comes to how inductors are used in eq circuits. I'm wondering if either of these bags' contents are useful somehow :)

One set are marked, and look to be 5000uH 5% units, with leads. The other set are unmarked, but are of the same design/packaging/size, except they are taller and are magnetized (anything ferrous sticks to the inductor). These have leads as well.

I need to get measurements on the 2nd set. Both designs are small, circular, about 1/3" in diameter, with a grey plastic coating marked with a red stripe near one of the two leads. (edit: photos uploaded)

In the interim, I would like to know if there any use for 5000 microhenry inductors in audio eq designs? I think so, at least for high frequency bands, but wondered if they really are?

I'm intrigued by the ones with the magnetized core. Is that something useful (or problematic) for audio work?

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Magnetized-core is most often for horizontal linearisazion in television picture tube deflection

5000uH is 5mH, which is on the lower side for audio - unless you're running really low impedances like e.g. in speaker crossovers

/Jakob E.

Thanks! I added a few photos for reference. All this stuff came from a studio tech type of guy here in Denver. I had the car packed with various stuff; one of those non-refuseable offer situations :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back