new tube stereo-compressor (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="cannikin"]I can understand not posting the schematic.... there are a lot of lurking thieves.[/quote]

Right. - But the fact that he had to promise to his friend not to show the schematic makes one think the friend also might have stolen it. Otherwise I'd at least mention the name of the friend if that guy designed such a great machine!

Olaf

[quote author="cannikin"]I can understand not posting the schematic.... there are a lot of lurking thieves.[/quote]

yes:
[quote author="3nity"]I remember someone told me about a The Ph*enix kits going out but that was top secret![/quote]

why top secret ?
let me guess:
the PCB designer (who did also all the hard work reverse engineering the unit) didn't want others to sell his PCB design ?

sadly all this results in "hidden" projects, removing / not showing schematics and PCB designs, members turning away.

a picture of the inside would clarify a lot of questions without giving away design secrets etc

Olaf, nice signature :green:

[quote author="adoucette"]very very cool. I like the idea of the felt, probably makes for a better feel on the knobs, what would you compare it sounds like?[/quote]
Firm bass, fluffy mid with a silky top :grin:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]

a picture of the inside would clarify a lot of questions without giving away design secrets etc [/quote]

I second this. If the secret friend of inputoutput only has worries about the schem (which he designed? Because otherwise he wouldn´t have to worry...), then some nice pics of the inside wouldn´t reveal the schematics, no?
Or is there another problem, perhaps with pre-made PCBs?

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]Olaf, nice signature :green:[/quote]

I have been thinking the same.

Cheers, ChrisToff

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow...its like a gssl,1176,Manley Slam, and a marconi R1155 all rolled into one!....

Well done inputoutput , that look seriously nice!

I just got back home from a trip to buy some meters just like the one's you have used,hoping they'd be useful , and then I see your creation..what a lovely coincidence!

So I MUST ask:...I notice you have added some VU markings on the meter , but how effective are you finding them as VU meters? There's a lot of discussion around here on the pros and cons of converting dc meters to a "sort of VU meter", but it would be nice to get your take on that .. seeing as you are actually using some real good quality units with presumably nice damping , and not just cheap plastic cassette deck "VU"'s...

respect!

nEon

[quote author="olafmatt"][quote author="cannikin"]I can understand not posting the schematic.... there are a lot of lurking thieves.[/quote]

Right. - But the fact that he had to promise to his friend not to show the schematic makes one think the friend also might have stolen it. Otherwise I'd at least mention the name of the friend if that guy designed such a great machine!

Olaf[/quote]

I have all sorts of ancient obscure broadcast manuals and schematics that I'm not sharing either, unless I get paid. Why? Because some of them cost me in the hundred$ to acquire. Hard to imagine, but think about it. There are some things that can't be 'stolen'. Not that it applies here. He can't share? Then just leave it alone.

Did he only want people to tell him how great his pictures looked ?
Hardly sharing anything , although no one says he has to .

I have 13 cds or so of schematics , manual & brochere's
it takes too long to go through looking for individual things , but
i'd be happy to start contributing them to a data base that would be
free to all

The pictures are cool, that should be good enough.
It is in the lab and not the design section. It was also very clearly posted about the circuit not to be given away, I would guess because they knew people would ask. Whats the problem?

Now the first post had links to two sites with one of the ideas used.

Thanks for sharing, I like the panel layout looks very retro. To bad you couldn't at least toss a picture of her with a little less on.

I'll respect that your keeping the schematic to yourself, I will look into trying the Analog tape simulation on a couple of my back burner projects when I get to them.

Keep up the good work.

to enlighten some of you what´s going on here:
there was a Phoenix project going on in the underground. inputoutputs comp reminds some people here on this project. It was never meant to become public because it is a currently available project. But then some of the PCBs seemed to find their way into the public. Now certain people are very interested if this thingy here is one of these phoenixes. And even more so interested if it´s a PCB out of the small project-batch or maybe already a commercially available one. And it is of most interest that this project does not become public because the original manufacturer is a cool guy who is working hard for his money and he should be the one who makes money out of this box - nobody else.

A lot of people would appreciate if the schematic and PCB layout would not be given away. I can only encourage inputoutput not to give anything away. But still it would be cool to know what´s going on in the box. Maybe we´re wrong and it´s something else. Then everythings fine!

please don´t ask me details about the phoenix project - I won´t answer

I think it looks great and would love to have the FPD if possible. I'm killing myself and my family trying to put front panels together. :shock:

As for the schematic, I have enough to build with all of the other projects I've got. I really don't need the temptation of yet another really, really cool compressor:)
:thumb: :sam:

What is a tube compressor.
(1) A compressor with tubes in it?
(2) A compressor that uses the tube to compress?

Which is the correct answer.

analag

[quote author="jensenmann"]
please don´t ask me details about the phoenix project - I won´t answer[/quote]

whats the Phoenix Project :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :wink: :cool: :cool:

damn! that looks pretty f'n sweet!

if you can't share any info, at least post some soundclips!!!!

[quote author="analag"]What is a tube compressor.
(1) A compressor with tubes in it?
(2) A compressor that uses the tube to compress?

Which is the correct answer.

analag[/quote]

If you're a self-respecting designer or sound engineer then surely (2) is the answer.

But if you're a marketeer then probably (1).

[quote author="inputoutput"]I’m really really sorry(!!), but I can’t tell you anything about the original schem, I wish I could share them, but I can't. I’ve made a promise to a friend to keep them to my-selves. So don’t ask.[/quote]
OK, too bad, but respected.

But c'mon, get it out of The Lab section then :!:
Don't get me wrong, it looks way cool and I'll believe it sounds really great (why not post some dry/wet-samples?), but don't tease us like this.

I guess it'd be least misplaced in The Brewery.

Regards,

Peter

Latest posts

Back