Newbie builds GroupDIY 51X rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You dial in the voltage at the cardslot to be 48.7 or +/-24.7 or +/-16.7 so that when you plug in your module, the voltage that actually reaches the module is 48/24/16 due to the protection diodes installed on the card that sit right next to the power rail gold fingers on the card.    Diodes "use up" 0.7V when you feed power through them in the correct direction.

I love the thread!

I wonder how much time and practice has to happen before I am capable to make the 51x...

Hi,

I'm a noobie to the forum and to the DIY world. I just wanted to thank you for doing such a great job in documenting your endeavor. It sure helped a lot!

Gab

Has anyone had a problem with 500 modules not seating correctly in the CAPI 511X rack due to the card-edge connectors being set too far back? I built the rack following Chunger's thread, but it feels like the modules are barely going into the slots in the backplane.

Which version of rack? If its the latest yellow plated version, this is not the right support thread. Either way, the racks are all on point with VPR spec.

Also, a properly built 51x rack with have the front of the backplane sitting appx 6.132" behind the mounting surface for the modules (back of their faceplate). I have a 6 space API lunchbox here and I am getting appx 6.1". That's about 1/32" difference and not enough to matter IMHO.

Thanks for the quick reply. The version I have is the black case 511 rack (24V). I'll grab a rule this weekend so I can measure the distance, but it feels like the modules are barely going into the card connectors. I don't get that solid "feel". Also, it's caused me to blow 3 fuses due to pins shorting out because non 511 cards were not seated well. I'm sure it's not the rack, it must be something I did, but thought someone may have had a similar experience and a suggestion (like attaching the back sheet metal to the inside of the case side and top flanges instead of outside?). I have 7 modules in the rack, and they are all working, but would prefer to have the connectors seat in the cards instead of float on top with minimal contact.

The old style black racks will have the same mounting distance within a 32nd of an inch. Having them "feel" like they are not seated fully does not mean that they aren't. I would say to remove the top of the rack so you can get a good look in there. Typically, if there are build problems, the distance to the PCB will be less than desirable, not more.

The info that you are blowing fuses suggests plugging 15-pin VPR modules into 18-pin card edge connectors and not have them seated properly.

Back