Newbie looking for some reinforcement....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybregar

Hello everyone,

First post.  Stumbled across the site as I was pricing out M269c's.  Needless to say I got discouraged.  :-[

I have done a few DIY projects, but I'm not an EE and can *just* barely read a schematic, as long as I have some photos and info to go by.  My most difficult project so far was building a Mission 5E3 Fender clone.  It works/sounds great.

I'd LOVE to build one of these mics.  Is it something a dude can figure out or am I in way over my head if I don't have a strong background?

Thanks,

Johnny

You can do it. I successfully built a U47 as my first DiY project, so if you've already built an amp before, and can even sort of read a schematic, you should be able to handle the M269. There is a PCB available here on this site. I knew basically nothing when I first started looking into this DiY stuff. I'm still very much a newbie, but at least I have one mic under my belt.

Welcome Johnny! Take some time, and sure you can build stuff. I recommend doing at least 1-2 "paint by numbers" sort of projects first, such as Chunger's excellent C12 project with super fantastic documentation, or even perhaps an outside project like a SeventhCircle Audio mic pre or SoundSkulptor pre. These kinds of projects will build your DIY chops and introduce you to the whole new world of expensive doohickies that can kill you or get you ridiculed...or very happy with new gear and new friends in the process. Take your time with it all there are no shortcuts to great gear. You either pay for it in money or pay for it in time, or in the case of DIY, BOTH!

So hang out, read, lurk, post some comments and thoughts, and welcome to the DIY guys hangout.

Mike

Thanks fellas!

Well that's what I needed.

I'm off to find a mic to build.... Probably that C12, as a brighter bigger mic is not in my closet at the moment. 

Cheers,

Johnny

Back