• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

No Longer Available NOS TRW O-12 NIB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, i'm rather fully aware in this topic, i have some broadcast equipment and i know very well difference between studio gear and broadcast gear, all the problems etc.

Rather my two cents in shortcut is - don't invest when you don't need it :D

Not without reason same Neve (in case of modules types) for recording studio was cheaper than for broadcast studio.
Currently i'm building my desk from two Audix ACC consoles made for broadcast - man this is real deal in case of any problematic environment. Neve mentioned earlier, from the same period for example, have completely no start to it ;D

thanks for your contribution

i am wondering wether the extra shielding had been used exclusively against rf interference or also to lower the hum that might come from the power transformers ? (i am talking in particular about the input transformer which from what i understand is more sensitive to external interference )

having said this, i totally agree that if there aren't any tangible / measurable benefits, it's not worth investing any extra money in superfluous stuff

Hum - maybe not exactly - rather interference from both transformers positioning, and yes RF.
It's rather hard steel, and original can in ouncers is just aluminium.

well, if then the extra shielding on the input transformer would lower any interference from the power transformer, regardless of rf interference and broadcast / recording environment, it's not really useless to have extra shielding isn't it ?

i think best way would be making a test with / without and measure if there is any difference in terms of noise

You can just do that the same by the positioning cores of transformers and if you are using toroid power transformer then there's no need at all. In all my builds with ouncers i have toroids, never had issue. In fact the highest power consumption, voltage etc. (like tube guitars amps) then you can have issue due to positioning. In typical rack 19" (or 500) pro audio bricks - rather not ;)

Latest posts

Back