NOOB QUESTION - Audio Compressors = Resistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUDIO FREQ

GDIY Supporter
Are audio compressors, in a basic essence, just resistors that limit the amount of current?

I ask this because in a T4B cell, a light's brightness dictates how much resistance is applied, which dictates how much audio is passed through? Or am I wrong?

Thank you guys.

Are audio compressors, in a basic essence, just resistors that limit the amount of current?
no
I ask this because in a T4B cell, a light's brightness dictates how much resistance is applied, which dictates how much audio is passed through? Or am I wrong?

Thank you guys.
A light dependent resistance (impedance changes with light intensity) when configured as a voltage divider can be used as a variable gain element.

JR

If you mean it as a variable resistance, then yes.
Adjusting a fader on the fly is a human-in-the-loop 'compressor'. As the signal becomes loud, pull back the fader. Softer, increase the fader. The fast you pull it down is the attack; the faster you increase it is the recovery. Typical compressors have a ratio: how much louder the signal gets, how much is "the fader" decreased (2, 4, etc...) and this corresponds to how much you pull down the fader for how loud the signal is.

Compressors measure dynamic and decrease loud passages to a maximum of given dB which is allowed the signal to be reproduced.

Last edited:
yes the resistors limit the amount of current in an audio compressor.
but they also increase the amount of current in a compressor.
this increase in current develops a larger voltage drop across R6 in the LA2 compressor.
this means less signal hitting the control grid of the first amplifier stage.

but you need a circuit called a voltage divider to make this work in a compressor.

here is how this voltage divider works in the LA2, when the music peak creates more light hitting the light dependent resistors, the resistance of the LDR's go down, less voltage gets to the amplifier>

Attachments

• teletronix_la2a_schematic.png
    teletronix_la2a_schematic.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
yes the resistors limit the amount of current in an audio compressor.
but they also increase the amount of current in a compressor.
this increase in current develops a larger voltage drop across R6 in the LA2 compressor.
this means less signal hitting the control grid of the first amplifier stage.

but you need a circuit called a voltage divider to make this work in a compressor.

here is how this voltage divider works in the LA2, when the music peak creates more light hitting the light dependent resistors, the resistance of the LDR's go down, less voltage gets to the amplifier>
That was very informative! I completely thought it was backwards.

Loud Source > Brighter Light > More Resistance > Less Signal.

Instead its

Loud Source > Brighter Light > Less Resistence > Less signal.

So no... This is not a good way to think about/conceptualize a compressor, any more than we would call an EQ a resistor simply because it may use resistive elements to alter the operating point of a filter.

All practical/production compressors in existence achieve gain reduction in basically one of two ways:

1 - Shunt some varying amount of signal to ground, via a passive resistive voltage divider or active FET element

2 - Alter the gain of a gain stage the signal is passing through, as is the case with true tube "vari-mu" compressors or VCA compressors.

Yes, the LA series comps use a photo-resistor in a voltage divider arrangement to shunt a varying amount of the signal to ground, but the device is still not technically functioning as a 'resistor' as it were- a varying resistance is simply one component that is achieving the desired effect. It would not at all be accurate to say that simply altering a series resistance in a signal path would achieve "signal compression"

And of course many compressors don't use a resistive element in the signal path at all- pretty much _only_ optical element compressors use this method.

With FET based compressors it is the semiconductor junction that is being varied by a control voltage, with VCA compressors a control voltage "tells" the VCA what it's gain should be, with Vari-Mu compressors, the effective bias point of the tube is being actively changed to alter the gain of that stage. There are resistive elements used in all the circuits of course, but those are not directly responsible for the gain change.

I would suggest that although conceptually compressors can be fairly straightforward electronic devices, they cannot be so simplified to be reduced conceptually to a single passive component.

A signal compressor should also be able to work in the digital domain by manipulating bits, outputting to an R2R network, or a PWM.
Also PIN diodes can be used, mostly for RF I'd think. Voltage controlled amplifiers (VCA) or voltage controlled resistors (VCR) are candidates. JFETs and PhotoFETs are used, being nonlinear and temperature dependent some linearizing feedback mechanism can be used.
1705850055684.png
https://www.vishay.com/docs/70598/70598.pdfhttps://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm13700.pdfLots of "moving" parts with various characteristics.

I guessed there were many other parts of the compressor, and I should've worded it better such as "Is the gain reduction element, at the very basic principle, a resistor that dampens the signal (current?).

I know there is a sidechain element that goes into how much of the signal, and the amplification factor of the make up gain. Is this correct?

The 'resistor' normally forms one half of a potential divider, or attenuator, or pad, call it what you like. It's like a volume pot that automatically 'turns itself down'.

There are other ways to do it, but I think that's basically what you're asking. It doesn't really limit the current, rather it divides the voltage signal down.

Latest posts

Back