now thats how you wire a guitar amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

impressive most impressive.

sup5.JPG

"I could do that but I don't wanna" - Bart Simpson

certainly easy to read and clean in the eyes.

too bad magnetic fields etc. noise sources don't follow clean 90 and 45 degree angles.

I totally agree that the wiring in the OP's pics is amazing, but it's funny because in the real thing (blackface fender) nowhere near that amount of care is taken and wires just drape over under around and through.  Also Harry Joyce was the MAN at neat wiring.

Unsupported solid wire from sockets to controls: This Sh*t WILL break.  The layout in old Fenders, Marshalls, et al makes sense from the point of view that wires tucked down against the chassis are UNLIKELY to break or CAUSE breaks like that clean 90 degree layout with LONG UNSUPPORTED LEADS will.

Take this amp and play it and watch the number of those UNSUPPORTED WIRES that will oscillate on a give note.  I fix silly sh*t like this for a living.

Good point.  I suppose vibration, or lack thereof, makes all the difference.  You'd want to iso that head from the cab, but then that's common sense anyway.  Like the fallacy of EL84 combo amps; always an audible vibrating element within the EL84's!  There's plenty of that sort of wiring in old broadcast gear, but it's usually solid core, and shock-mounted, with no 50W vibration anywhere nearby. 

Not only the wiring is an issue with that amp, but many of the components are also large and unsupported.  I've fixed issues like that in one of my own builds where a component broke its own leads under vibration.  I am critical of that amp because MOST of what I see fail is due to a physical stress on a jack, pot, or solder joint that is both an electrical connection and a mechanical connection to the circuit board.  Hiwatt, Marshall, Fender and others that used terminal strips, circuit boards with wires passed thru holes JUST to hold the wire, and fiber boards where the wiring is twisted together and tucked into the corner edge of the chassis.  That stuff will OUTLIVE the snazzy turret board with 90 degree solid wire eye-candy BS. 

That's one of Brian Hill's amplifiers.  IMO it's a very nice build.... if you're into clones.  The AB763 circuit ain't got enough gain to oscillate.... well not all spread out like that.  Looks like he's shielded the critical wires.  The only components I see that could possibly work their way loose are the 100uF radial caps which appear to be glued in place.  I guess those solid core wires could sag over time, but insulation is pretty darn neato stuffs.  Most people who spend that kinda jack on a clone ain't gonna let it get bounced around, have beers spilled on it, cigarette burns etc...  Is it bullet proof?  What amp is?

bahrens said:
emrr said:
Like the fallacy of EL84 combo amps; always an audible vibrating element within the EL84's!

Pretty sweet sounding fallacy with the right circuit/speakers IMO :D

So long as it's actually a separate head and cabinet, which it never is.  90% of the EL84 combo amps I put a mic on have audible filament rattle coming out the speakers when it gets loud.  Give me an EL84 head with a separate cab; I'm all for it. 

I see: A bow-teek geetar amplifier for those with more money than chops who will always have more gear than talent.  That impressive looking amp is gonna live in some hack's living room where he can continue to pretend that he plays the guitar.  My personal favorite for this crowd it the $400 Hand Wired Tube Screamer.  Guys like this have suck-ceeded in doing one thing: Finding an impressive looking way to get someone to pay way too much for something they really don't need.  God Bless Excess!

toobdood said:
  Unsupported solid wire from sockets to controls: This Sh*t WILL break.  The layout in old Fenders, Marshalls, et al makes sense from the point of view that wires tucked down against the chassis are UNLIKELY to break or CAUSE breaks like that clean 90 degree layout with LONG UNSUPPORTED LEADS will.

Take this amp and play it and watch the number of those UNSUPPORTED WIRES that will oscillate on a give note.  I fix silly sh*t like this for a living.

On a similar note, it's maybe also not the best idea having the heater filament wiring sitting freely up in the air like that. Running the heater wires down along the corner of the chassis is better practice in terms of reducing induced AC hum.

Back