Now that's some fancy driving

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice... I put a supercharger on my '93 mustang cobra but it was a go kart compared to that ride.  I'd be
lucky to make half that horsepower.

I am not a fan of drifting but that sucker looked like it could go pretty fast in a straight line too...

burnout2.jpg

The picture is of my old 54 ford with open rear (no posi) so only one wheel burning rubber.

Back in the '60s I used to buy my tires at the junk yard because they'd only last a few weeks.  Tires nowadays are
too expensive to drive like that...  :D

I hear that ford is going to put IRS (independent rear suspension) in the new mustang so they should handle a little better. They still have lousy front-back weight distribution, all wheel drive would help that.

JR

> IRS in the new mustang

Heresy!!

A real driver knows how to deal with a heavy Ford Nine hopping that thinned-out tail across the road.

Kinda complements the awful front geometry and general understeer. The nose doesn't want to go left, so you hop-out the rear to the right, and punch it in the new direction.

I miss my '67s. The Accord is just not the same.

PRR said:
> IRS in the new mustang

Heresy!!

A real driver knows how to deal with a heavy Ford Nine hopping that thinned-out tail across the road.
I had traction bars on my old 54 so no wheel hop ( a phenomenon associated with the rear leaf spring winding up from the applied torque, releasing when the tires break loose, then winding up again to repeat the cycel). The traction bars AKA a Watt's straight line linkage allowed for normal up/down spring action without all the drama during hard acceleration. 
Kinda complements the awful front geometry and general understeer. The nose doesn't want to go left, so you hop-out the rear to the right, and punch it in the new direction.
I had issues with the front brake equalization on my old '86 GT. Flat spotted a couple right front tires from panic braking at 130+ on the interstate when coming up on two trucks blocking both lanes at a pedantic 65 MPH. With only one tire slipping the steering still feels normal so I didn't notice until the next morning (thump thump thump), while this was all happening at speed.

My '93 cobra stang, the last year for the Fox chassis was a flexible flyer. After I put the blower (Vortech) on it, I could perceive the chassis flexing under power but it was adequately stable for my mostly straight line fun. I miss that '93, limited edition Cobra and last year for that Fox chassis, making it even more collectable, but not after I totaled it into a guard rail..  :'( Good bye red, RIP.

The '97 cobra I am still driving is much superior car. Much more rigid chassis, higher tech motor, good brakes et all. It could use 2x or 3x the horsepower, but it already goes way faster than I should drive it on the interstate.
I miss my '67s. The Accord is just not the same.

I wouldn't mind something like the recent vette drive train with the smart brake steering, so next time I get sideways on the interstate in a downpour I get cybernetic help.  If I was living north of the Mason-Dixon where it snows I couldn't use even my '97 as a daily driver. The posi works against you staying in a straight line when slippery. Maybe drop a cobra kit body on top of the recent vette drive train. (Don't tell anybody).

JR

PS: I'd take that car in the video but the loud exhaust wouldn't fly for normal shopping errands. The neighbors might object, if I didn't.

> traction bars on my

Not what I meant.

You know unsprung weight should be low compared to sprung weight to keep the rubber down on bad roads. The 63-69 series started with the Falcon, which had a trunk-boom. So did the Nova, Chevy beefed the structure, Ford un-beefed to miss the resonance. Then the Mustang cut-off the Falcon's tail, then put in V-8s and heavier axles. The unsprung/sprung ratio is not 1:1, but isn't far off. The tail wags the dog.

This with the Falcon/early-Mustang IFS which de-cambers itself on any body-roll. (The fix was to drill the top A-arm mounts lower, never did that.)

So on any not-perfectly-new road, any real side-force "hops" the rear axle. On skid-pad the car understeers, but on Copperhill Road it also oversteers intermittently.

Homeward-bound on Copperhill I learned how to hit the lumps and usually make the turns. Would be much less fun in a car that actually tried to keep the rubber on the road.

PRR said:
> traction bars on my

Not what I meant.

You know unsprung weight should be low compared to sprung weight to keep the rubber down on bad roads. The 63-69 series started with the Falcon, which had a trunk-boom. So did the Nova, Chevy beefed the structure, Ford un-beefed to miss the resonance. Then the Mustang cut-off the Falcon's tail, then put in V-8s and heavier axles. The unsprung/sprung ratio is not 1:1, but isn't far off. The tail wags the dog.
burnout3.jpg

Funny speaking of Falcons, that red car in the background is my step-brother's 1960 Falcon, with a 260 V8 in it. While the tire marks are all mine.. note: only one wheel spinning. On that road surface with normal size tires it would just burn forever.
This with the Falcon/early-Mustang IFS which de-cambers itself on any body-roll. (The fix was to drill the top A-arm mounts lower, never did that.)

So on any not-perfectly-new road, any real side-force "hops" the rear axle. On skid-pad the car understeers, but on Copperhill Road it also oversteers intermittently.

Homeward-bound on Copperhill I learned how to hit the lumps and usually make the turns. Would be much less fun in a car that actually tried to keep the rubber on the road.
I'll take your word for it, the classic rap against the mustang was poor front to back weight ratio.  FWIW my 54 ford was a rare coupe body style with light tail end too. I had a 54 station wagon before the coupe and that would really dig in, while I once broke a driveshaft universal during a hole shot.

JR

Back