Obsessive packaging

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Ordered parts recently.
I get the box size being too big. It’s how a company charges a flat rate for a handful of parts. It’s why all ordered up to a certain amount are flat rate shipping.

What I don’t understand is why some capacitors are shipped in bubble wrap that is inside a bag that goes inside a box that the flat rate box.

I doubt a lytic on a belt could get damaged so why the need for the extra bubble wrap why are any of my lytics bubble wrapped?
Seems wasteful and not environmentally friendly.

I've told this story before. Back in the 70s I ordered a bunch of low noise transistors. Something like 100 pieces of an exotic extremely low noise part. The shipment did not arrive in a timely fashion. After a couple weeks I tried to get the vendor to reship the order and it turned out that I already had the majority of these parts that were available inside the country. They didn't have any more to ship me. 🤔

Several weeks later the missing shipment magically appeared. It was in an unusually small box that apparently fell off a conveyor belt and was lost sitting on the ground under/behind the belt until somebody chanced upon it when cleaning the floor.

Because of that I do not mind sensibly right-sized (not too small) shipping boxes.

JR

There might just be some rule somewhere that prescribes a minimum box size for the scanners these parts go through.

There are numerous rules to apply, changing between road transport and air transport. Magnets and batteries have their own rules, fi.

The most ridiculous rule I ever came across, was the "strategic parts" rule. I got some samples from a US parts supplier (don't remember which one). The package arrived in a couple of days. Weeks later, I had to provide "full identity". I reckoned they already had my identity, so I ignored the form. A few weeks later, they sent it again, with the warning I wouldn't ever be able to order parts from them again.

I do not take threats well. So I reckoned I'd get parts elsewhere and I forgot about it. Months later, I ordered some parts again. I got a mail that I still needed to fill out that form. So I ordered elsewhere. Still, the parts arrived fast, so I cancelled the other order. That was too late, they already shipped. I ended up with twice the parts. No worries, as these were pretty run-of-the-mill parts.

The parts in my order that were strategically important, were some high power (250 amps+) FETs. I used these in the DC motor controller for my son's electric quad.

I wonder how much time and money is wasted trying to protect the empire...

The AI wants to shove its pinnochio nose up everyones arse ,

Back in the day it was no problem ordering electronic parts from the UK to Ireland by small packet , via R.M.
All the red tape now means the end user gets whacked with around 25% added on top of the combined value plus shipping ,
Your paying for the halfwit who finger-bangs the membrane on the LDC capsules ,

The AI wants to shove its pinnochio nose up everyones arse ,

Back in the day it was no problem ordering electronic parts from the UK to Ireland by small packet , via R.M.
All the red tape now means the end user gets whacked with around 25% added on top of the combined value plus shipping ,
Your paying for the halfwit who finger-bangs the membrane on the LDC capsules ,
Esh, can’t we go back to the old days when they would just finger bang a dust cap on a woofer

I've used a vaccum cleaner with a nozzle to pull out the a crumpled woofer dome ,
it usually works great with paper dust caps on PA or guitar speakers ,

I have a set of Truth monitors I got from a friend when he cleaned out his appartment ,
someone punched in the dome on the polycarb woofer ,
I fashioned a small hook from a sewing needle , then applied heat with a hair dryer ,then used the hook to pierce and pull out the dome , a very small dot of two part epoxy seals up the pin hole after .

Latest posts

Back